Big Independent Group

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

insurancechange
Insurance Journal Fan

Big Independent Group

Post by insurancechange »

Hello,

I am new in the business and received an email to attend an insurance convention hosted by some new insurance association called BIG Independent Group minivention trade show. Me and my friend who attended had no clue. The trade show was very tiny (funny their name is BIG) and most of the companies were not appointing new agents. There were more vendors here than insurance companies and just felt hounded the whole time I was there to signup for something I dont need. This seems like a one man show and not about helping agents grow. Seems like a money grab and was a complete waste of my time. I was able to signup with Superior Access Insurance and they give me access to all the top A rated insurance carriers I need. I guess this trade show would be good for insurance brokers who wanted insurance company appointments to write hard to write risk. Big Independent Group is defiantly the DUI of insurance associations. They remind me of that movie Cedar Rapids where they go to an insurance convention to find out the people that win the insurance awards are the sponsors who PAID the most. Also, check out their website www.biginsusa.com. I called to get a "member" quote for errors and omissions insurance and they referred me to someone who chargers a $250 broker fee. How is this a savings to the member? Also, How do you save 25% of continuing education cost with a vendor who charges 3 times more than anyone else. When you look at their website it says nothing about the people running it. There were only 2 men that i saw with the mics and one was the president of BIG independent group who also worked for a vendor QQ Solutions. Funny now i keep getting emails from QQ. They should let the insurance producers in the industry know who is behind this association. If you check their facebook page you will see they like to party a lot. Where is all this money going? Didn't look like it was being reinvested. I could throw a trade show with a table and 2 chairs with a banner.

What do you think about insurance associations? Are there any reputable ones still around?
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Big Independent Group

Post by yoyowordup »

LOVE The Arizona Big I association!!
sgoebel
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by sgoebel »

To my understanding, the BIG has been trying to get a larger footprint in NorCal for a couple years now. Putting together a full sized tradeshow for the NorCal area when they don't yet have a large number of member agencies in the area just isn't feasible. Realistically they have to start small in NorCAl until they establish a larger membership base up there. I'm sure they'd love to throw a kick a$$ NorCal tradeshow, but finding company/carrier/MGA sponsorship to do such an event will only come easy when the company/carrier/MGA's know that there will be a large audience of member brokers in attendance. ...And in all fairness they did advertize it as the "Minivention".
As far as agency associations go, they are pretty "BIG" in Southern California. I work for Arrowhead General Insurance (San Diego) in our Residential Earthquake division, and Arrowhead has had a booth at each of the main BIG annual tradeshows (usually in Riverside, CA) since the BIG association started. Their main tradeshow has grown to be one the larger insurance tradeshows in SoCal. I personally didn't make it to their Riverside show this year (our personal & commercial auto, property, and Specialty/Comp product reps manned the Arrowhead booth), but I did attend the 2012 and 2013 shows and they had a good turn-out of both product providers (Company/Carriers/MGA's/Wholesalers) & Broker/Agents.
You mention that they like to party... What agency association doesn't? All of them throw some sort of party or "hospitality reception" at their respective tradeshows. Some of them (such as the BIG) also host a December "Holiday Party" so that the member agencies can bring their producers/brokers/csr's to a really fun Holiday party with diner, entertainment, & dancing. In my opinion this is a really nice thing that member agencies can do for their employees, rather than just giving them a holiday gift or bonus and say "Happy Holidays". Aside from that, the BIG does have additional meetings and functions designed around CE classes and/or industry speaker/info sessions. They do these at fun places, like Dave & Busters that way attendees will have the fun-factor incentive to attend.
My advice is to check out the other associations as well and see which one is the best fit for your agency. They are all different and offer different incentives, so the best one for you might not be good for another agency across town from you. Besides BIG, try the American Agents Alliance, IIAB-Cal, PIA Western Alliance. Check out their websites first and get a sence of what they have to offer. Call them and get a quote for member pricing on their E&O too.
Good Luck!
-Steve G-
jspaugy
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jspaugy »

I would like to start with how disappointed our association is with the Insurance Journal that they will let anyone just post anything on this form. It does not matter if is has any merit or truth to what an association has done for the industry.

So let me start by addressing our new agents concerns. We have had a minvention in Northern California for the last few years and each year the attendance has gotten bigger. This is called a minvention for a reason. The cost to come to the event if you registered early was only $20. If you registered a month before the convention the cost was $40. So lets break this down. The cost we pay for each ticket to the game is $33. You came to a baseball game, got food, got a convention and did not pay for parking and you think we ripped you off and this is a money grab? This post is a complete insult to the event planners, the agents/brokers, carriers and vendors that attended. This association has raised over 30,000 to send adults with special needs to camp over the last few years. We provide networking and education events throughout the state to help carriers,vendors, and producer come together throughout the year. We have helped decrease the cost to come to all conventions. The comment about our E&0 program is completely false. Our awards are the most open and honest way to recognize people in our industry. They are like the peoples choice awards and are completely calculated by who gets the most support from the industry. It is a shame that you are new in the industry and don't appreciate the efforts an association has put together for you to connect with companies and carriers that could help your business grow.
We only hope that these kind of attacks are not happening to other associations as the insurance journal will just let any post go unchecked. :(
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

jspaugy wrote:I would like to start with how disappointed our association is with the Insurance Journal that they will let anyone just post anything on this form. It does not matter if is has any merit or truth to what an association has done for the industry. :(
So you think the insurance journal should pay someone to monitor posts? This is the innerweb. We get it. I also understand that there are no singles in my area dying to meet me.
Sal Ayala Jr
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Sal Ayala Jr »

First off let me start by thanking this gentlemen/lady "insurancechange" for taking the time to share his comments about the BIG Independent Group. As he himself states that he is new to the industry, we should give him a pass on his ignorance. He/she opened the door to dialog and debate. I am always open to a good respectable debate.

Running a trade association is a labor of love. One of the main reason this association was formed, was to give Agents, Carriers and Vendors the opportunity to network and not go broke doing so. It was established during a difficult economic time for many agency owners and allowed everyone to still participate in networking events and conventions.

As it has already been mentioned in a previous comment, BIG is just starting to make it's foot print up north and in the process of making some major upgrades to membership benefits. In addition, BIG is also working on programs to help minority groups in the Insurance Industry starting with BIG Latino.

I would like to thank the Insurance Journal for this forum and especially Jon Spaugy for keeping the association on track. There are many people that could sit back and complain about how bad something is but few that actually take action when they see something needs to be done.

So I challenge my now colleague "insurancechange" to step up and join an association, start an association to set examples. Not simply present problems with no solutions. Anyone can do that!

-Sal
rontoledo777
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by rontoledo777 »

I find the initial comment very disturbing because I have known the founder of BIG for many years and the organization represented. The northern California minivention was just that, a Minivention, wheras they are trying to get a foothold in the Norcal area and hope to one day be as large as they are in Southern California. We have worked wtih the BIG since their inception as well as other organizations that have been around much longer, and must say they are all on the same level. The BIG provides a service to all agents and brokers. If the agent/broker already has many of the appointments, then at the least they are able to see all of their carriers and GA's in one event, sometimes having the opportunity to meet the owners of such Companies/GA's. These types of organizations also provide entertainment such as baseball games or dinner under the stars with live bands. Not sure how this was referred to a "party" organization but what they as well as all of the other organizations do is provide a great service as well as some type of casual entertainment to "pay back" those who come out to support the organizations. Thank you BIG, keep doing what you do. We hear nothing but great things about you guys out in the field.
sv1
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by sv1 »

I feel sorry for this new agent in the industry and the lack of understanding he has for the good guys in the industry. I started my agency in 2002 and I was not sure how to get started or even if I could make it in the industry on my own. I remember Jon Spaugy taken the time to talk to me and encouraging me that i could do this. He is passionate, caring and just a great person to be around. He is all about the industry and has always been there to help people grow in the industry. I have talked to people all over the country and hear similar stories. He has helped so many people. We love BIG Independent Group you guys are doing an awesome job so keep doing what your doing.
Fabian Serrano
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Fabian Serrano »

Not sure how new or authentic "insurancechange" really is or what their true motives are but BIG offers a great opportunity for networking/learning to those truly looking to grow in this industry. My advice for anyone new is to keep showing up and get involved.

If you're not new and maybe just a hater (we like them too), consider the following:

when your passion for "change" grows to match that of your passion to discredit an association's hard work, you might just make a change. So while the industry waits on "insurancechange" for that to happen, BIG & BIG Latino will continue to create opportunities, network and celebrate success and milestones!
insurancechange
Insurance Journal Fan

Seems all the reply's to this post are from the same person. If you are not guilty then why even respond? So defensive, I was just speaking the truth, nothing bad. Anyway, Point made!
sgoebel

Post by sgoebel »

Not likely the same person. Just multiple people who have the same positive opinion of The BIG.

Regarding The BIG... To be clear, I'm not a BIG member agent myself, but I've been to some of their functions as an exhibitor and from what I've seen they do a great job. I wasn't at the San Jose Mini-Vention, so I can't comment either way on that event, but what I can tell you is that as an exhibiting company at many insurance tradeshows in multiple states, we do ask our appointed agents & brokers how they feel about their respective associations because it helps us determine which tradeshows/events we'll participate in. The BIG does get an overwhelmingly positive feed-back ratio from it's member agencies.

Back to you... As I mentioned in my previous post, you might want to check out some of the other agency associations to see if others might be a better fit for you. One I forgot to mention that is located up in the bay area (close to you) is the Independent Brokers Network, or "IBN" for short. Their November meeting was just last week so you missed that one, but I know they're having a December party for their member agencies. Give a call to Fred "Sonny" Dimeo at 877-919-6900 if you'd like to give the IBN a try.

-Steve G-
insurancechange
Insurance Journal Fan

So Steve, You are not a member and some how you trolled your way onto this post to leave a positive comment about an EVENT you didn't attend??? You even refer someone up north which sounds like you maybe that person since you don list your contact info. Why would you list another persons first and last name with direct number and not yours? I don't understand how so many people comment within days a part without being connected to each other. Plus you were NOT even at the event I was commenting on so you have no room to speak. I was willing to give Big Imitation Group another chance, but it seems like all these post are not adding up and you guys are trying to con and cover up your actions for some reason. Something is just not right here! Why even respond to a comment, why defend someones actions for an event you did not attend? It's so weird why people would go out of there way to oppress someones opinion on an event they didn't attend.

Steve if you are a vendor, what company?????? What company???? Please tell us. I bet that you wont and if you do NO person by that name will be there.
sgoebel

Post by sgoebel »

Happy New Year "insurancechange",
Thanks for bringing to my attention that I hadn't filled out some of my profile info. I didn't realize that before, so just updated it now. You may not have noticed from my earlier post on October 8, but I did write that I work for Arrowhead General Insurance in San Diego. My user name is "sgoebel" and I sign off as "Steve G" on all my posts. Now I'm not going to post my home phone, give you directions to my house, and tell you where my kids go to school, but I'm definitely not hiding who I am or pretending to be someone else. Go ahead and Google search "Steve Goebel Arrowhead Insurance", you'll be able to find plenty of links in relation to who I am and what I do. The first link in the Google search even has my picture on it, so you can see my ugly mug if you scroll down the page a bit... although that pic is a few years old :roll: (I've got a bit more grey going on up top now). And I'm sorry but maybe I was unclear about my membership of the association in that 2nd post. What I meant is that I'm not a practicing agent/broker, so I myself, personally do not have an agent/broker membership to any of the organizations I mentioned... but the company I work for (Arrowhead General Insurance) is a member company & sponsor of many events thrown by the various insurance associations in our industry, which by default gets me in to any tradeshows which we choose to attend.
Because I like to keep up with current insurance topics and the latest news in our industry, I do subscribe to the Insurance Journal's "Daily Headline News" e-mails which pop up pretty much every day. When I find time, I scroll down the list of articles and recent forum topics that display on the face of the e-mail. If there is an article that interests me or a forum topic that I feel I can contribute to, I'll open the link and see what it's about. I call it reading the news and participating in industry discussion (not trolling). This is exactly why I replied to your post. You posted the question "What do you think about insurance associations? Are there any reputable ones still around ?" I've been in the industry for 16 years now and most of it has been on the product/marketing side, working directly with agents & brokers such as yourself and A-LOT of conventions/tradeshows (can't remember how many) and industry events that have been thrown by insurance associations in multiple states. You asked for opinions and given my experience, I figured my opinion might be appreciated. Aside from my opinion, I also provided other associations and suggested you reach out to those to see if another one would be better for you.
If you feel that I was trying to oppress your opinion of the BIG, based on an event that I didn't attend, please re-read my previous posts in this string. I was merely expressing my opinion of the BIG, and pointing out that the particular event was advertised as a smaller show ("MiniVention") so it probably wasn't a solid basis for you to form a conclusive opinion on, and that their other show (the SoCal one) was a much grander event.
I'm not sure why it would be weird or uncommon to give out the name and direct # of someone that I'm referring you to? Maybe it sounds funny to you, but in this industry, you'll find peers and even competing agent/brokers that will help you out to find a market or rep for a product that you are looking for and don't have access to yet. I get new agent/brokers referred to me all the time by current agent/brokers. And they call my direct line asking for Steve Goebel, not asking the receptionist to be transferred to "the earthquake guy there at Arrowhead?"
At any rate, I posted to this forum topic to benefit you. I know you are new to the industry and may be skeptical about the advice you get, but there are a lot of us good guys out here who are willing to help a newcomer. However, this doesn't mean that we're immune to getting bashed online. I didn't foresee having to defend myself on this public forum, but I guess things can get blown out of proportion on any media channel where you can't see the person/people you're conversing with.

Best of luck to you in this new year. Keep an open mind and be nice to those that will help you.
-Steve G-