Using LinkedIn To Get Referrals

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Using LinkedIn To Get Referrals

Post by scott »

I am not yet big into using social media to get new business.

I do "Tweet" a few times a week (@scottsimmonds) and I am active on LinkedIn.

I have not used the "connections"feature of LinkedIn to make connections with people I don't know. I do request a connection with people I have met or had contact with (219 so far).

Here is how I have used LinkedIn to generate new business...

I review the connections that my business associates and clients show in their LinkedIn profile. When I see a person to whom I would like to connect I email my associate (regular email) and ask if I they would help me with an introduction.

I send a short email to the new connection using my associate's name and introducing myself. I suggest a phone appointment date and time a day or so out.

Some email me back saying they are not interested. I then thank them and ask if I can add them to my newsletter list.

Some email me with another date and time.

Some don't reply at all. I call at the announced time and "go with the flow." If the party does not answer I leave a message referring to my associate, my note, and ask them to call back. I wait a few days and send a short email inviting them to join my email newsletter list and telling them that I will not bug them again.

I'm interested in how others on the forum are actively using social media to make direct connections with prospects.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
Rainmaker
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Using LinkedIn To Get Referrals

Post by Rainmaker »

Scott, you're doing all the right things! I would add that LinkedIn has a resource center with techniques, whitepapers, etc., on how to network effectively through their engine. For example, there is a great whitepaper written by Guy Kawasaki (the Apple guru) on how to use LinkedIn for business networking. If you can't locate it easily contact me and I'll send it you.

LinkedIn provides a lot information about people's companies, sizes, where most of their employees came from (previous employer), etc., that can all be used by the business developer to help package their approach. Purchasing officers are so busy, and so inundated with solicitations, approaching them with the emphasis that: 1) researched has been performed, 2) based on that research you saw certain things that led you to suspect they may have problems with 'x, y, z,' and that your firm has solutions for that, and 3) you appear to know "so and so" in common as revealed through LinkedIn connections.

I think that makes the approach more powerful and generates better results. Potential buyers want someone to come to the table prepared, up to speed (as much as they can be with the information they can access publicly) and pointing to some specifics where they can be of service. LinkedIn's information can provide a lot of clues and is a good research tool in helping producers create the 'ability to approach on a favorable basis," which is where sales creatures live!
David E. Estrada
Founder & Managing Director
Rainmaker Advisory LLC
Portland, Oregon
www.rainmakeradvisory.com