Can anyone vouche for Noodle, Smart Choice, Agent Secure?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

mattnewtonberger
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Can anyone vouche for Noodle, Smart Choice, Agent Secure?

Post by mattnewtonberger »

I've read these threads and wonder how they have so many agents if they all suck so badly. If they are all terrible, how does one go about getting that first $300,000 book to get direct appointments?
(I have experience, but Auto Owners for example wanted me to have an indy book first)
Which leads me to rant a little bit about Auto Owners. I can write $300,000 ap in a year. Why isn't my seven years experience more important?
Ok, I'm not the CEO of Auto Owners so Im done ranting. :lol:
Any advice on that first $300k would be appreciated. Would prefer to get it in the commercial market, but will do what is necessary.
Thanks in advance
lonestar
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Can anyone vouche for Noodle, Smart Choice, Agent Secure

Post by lonestar »

mattnewtonberger wrote:I can write $300,000 ap in a year. Why isn't my seven years experience more important?
matt, the insurance business has become more and more of, "what have you done lately?" Direct appointments are not all they are cracked up to be. Direct appointments often come with a very demanding company rep, who adds little to no value to your agency operations. Also, threats of termination come more frequently with a direct appointment vs an appointment through a GA. Travelers is treating IA's with direct appointments like captive agents right now, terminating contracts if agents do not agree to write 48 policies a year with them. I know of a agency that had a $2 million book with Travelers that was terminated by them this year.

A good GA can provide some cover from a hostile insurance company rep, and can provide security in the appointment.
mattnewtonberger

I had thought the same things. The lower volume commitments would be wonderful too. Can you recommend any? I have looked on other forums and it is negative rants. I need a positive recommendation. :lol: I'm in the corner of AL, TN, GA.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

All of these MGA's behave differently depending on the volume you're submitted, the geographic area they're dealing with and the competency level of those representatives you're dealing with. Submit only dribs and drabs and you'll be treated as a second class client. Commit to more and fulfill the commitment and you'll be treated as royalty.

In personal lines, by the time these MGA's get done taking their 1/3rd commission, there's not a lot left to run an agency. You do all the work, but not directly into the carrier systems, so there's going to be a time lag from when you submit to the MGA and when things get done. Endorsements are often slow to process, new biz can be slow as well. Sure, they sell you on the fact that if the book builds up, you can walk it as a direct appointment with the carrier, if the carrier is willing, but that can take a long time.

Apparently there's greater success with using MGA's for commercial business. Because they access mainstream carriers, they beat the pants of MGA's that specialize in non admitted carriers for risk catagories that fit the profiles. Because premiums are higher for much of the commercial marketplace, taking the MGA commission hit still leaves you with greater revenue.

Bottom line? Generalist personal lines agencies in start up mode are going to be a very tough slog in the current environment. MGA or not, ramping up revenue in a takeaway market, competing with the internet, is going to be a difficult business plan to fulfill successfully.
mattnewtonberger

I've been looking all weekend at them. 10% seems the norm. I have to start somewhere. I try to remain positive and think about a buddy of mine that gets 8% at Allstate. :lol:
I will try not to write personal lines until I have a csr and direct appointments.
Seems like Agent Secure and Superior Access will let me roll to direct appointments. Maybe they will accept business.
Thanks for the insight.
mattnewtonberger

indy's are not really competitive in personal lines in my area. I think everyone tries to write it though.
Claire
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Claire »

Stay away from insurance noodle. I tried them for awhile when I first opened and it was a nightmare getting quotes back and getting endorsements processed. Imagine a client at the dealer purchasing a new car and needing to wait a week to get it bound! I am trying to find other options myself but don't count on having $300,000 in direct written premium and suddenly every carrier will appoint you. My total book is almost 3,000,000 and I still have trouble getting appointments!
dukekneeland
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by dukekneeland »

We had a terrible time with Smart Choice. I merged with another broker and could not get a Safeco appointment because of Smart Choice. Appointments with their companies were blocked for 2 years after termination.
Capitalismworks
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Capitalismworks »

My recent experience, very bad service. I had some Issues with website just trying to get appointed. Very frustrating I even called them and asked for a manager owner CEO anyone and could not get past the receptionist. I suggest you stay away from these people. Bad service, I can only i :evil: magine if I had a client issue with them I would be lost.
beachagent

Post by beachagent »

The customer service at Insurance Noodle is the worst. I call the carriers directly now for endorsements, billing questions, etc. because no one from Noodle will call back or I get a response weeks after the request is made to them. Have not had any issues getting policies bound but after that it is has been a nightmare.
miinsguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by miinsguy »

I used Agent Secure when starting up my agency. They had a different split and paid profit sharing that I did receive. The more you write the better care they take of you! Have you looked into E & O it took me 8 months to get my first policy. One other recommendation I have is get a partner. That was my downfall when I was off work for 9 months being treated for medical conditions. Good Luck!

I ended up selling my book.
PhilT
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by PhilT »

Can't speak to the Insurance Noodle service. However with the other agent networks mentioned on this thread, attention to the agencies and the service provided can be significantly different depending on the particular State in which your agency is operating. Before joining any of these organizations, ask to speak to several agents in your the region who use their services. Obviously. the closer ones might not be too willing to talk to you but others usually will do so and share their experiences.

In the instances where no one from these organizations gets back to you, suggest you trust your instincts and recognize that it is not an organization with which you should be dealing anyway.

As another possible resource, you might want to check agencyequity . com
On the left side of the home page, choose "Agency Resource Directories". Then choose "Agency Clusters/Alliances/Networks", etc. Then click-on your State on the map of the U.S.

Might provide some of you with a couple of other possible contacts.