Career Advice - COO /Agency Manager of an Ind

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

jwterry3
Insurance Journal Fan

Career Advice - COO /Agency Manager of an Ind

Post by jwterry3 »

Mulling over a career change that kinda found me.

My back ground is 18 yrs exper as Independent producer (PL and CL) running the Spectrum from running my own small successful agency to being a successful Producer for Wachovia/Wells.

I have currently been in a mid level sales/mgmt. position with a top national carrier. My path upward with said carrier for positions I would pursue is kinda blocked with two entrenched associates so I would be in my current role another 5-7yr for sure.

A very well known and established ind agency has approached me to come on as the Agency Operations Manager/Sales Manager. Would be managing a staff of 12 or so and working to expand the agency into two larger markets in our state in next 2-4yrs. I am sure some production would be required as well.

Thoughts? Advice? Can this position be stable? Can it give me the income stability needed to sustain an upcoming expansion?

Anybody been down this path>?
jwterry3
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Career Advice - COO /Agency Manager of an Ind

Post by jwterry3 »

39 yrs old and in the SE US
ocbroker
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by ocbroker »

Without knowing the specifics of compensation, responsibilities, and/or job duties (both where you are at currently and within the position you are considering), it's really tough for anyone to give informed advice.

My personal experience is that sales manager positions within retail agencies tend to be short lived. Unlike a producer, who can point to tangible revenue that they are adding to the bottom line, a sales manager doesn't have that luxury. And if profits ever dip and finances begin to get tight, that position is usually the first to go.

All I can say is that if you feel like you don't have a clear idea of what your specific daily/weekly/monthly responsibilities would be, I would be VERY cautious about accepting that position.
pacificcrest
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by pacificcrest »

There are some independent alliances out there with a lot of different opportunities where you can be the sole producer/agent/work from home etc. Since you've been a producer for such a long time, why not think about becoming an agent? A lot more upside and the chance to own your own book.