CPCU - complete 12-18 months?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

CPCU - complete 12-18 months?

Post by joel66 »

I have a question for those who recently completed your CPCU. If I put in 25 hours per week min on studying for the CPCU, would it be possible to complete each of the 7 courses every 6 to 8 weeks? I would prefer to do this every four weeks, but I don't know until I complete the first exam. I have already completed the Program in General Insurance years ago, so one of the courses is waived. I plan to go commerical side.

Joe
MGehman
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: CPCU - complete 12-18 months?

Post by MGehman »

With 25 hrs per week, should be no problem.
I bought the first book in August 2007 and took my first test in Nov 07.
I took and passed the last test in Dec 2008. (commercial side).
I am a producer with commercial and personal lines experience, so some courses took longer than others (and vice versa).

Good luck.....
Mike
superdash8
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by superdash8 »

Sure, it's possible. I'm not trying to discourage you, but that is a lot to take on. My brother in law had 5 of the units completed and then cramed the last 3 into a 6 week period. He was taking a test every other week. Of course, he had no wife, kids, or job at that time and was able to focus 100% on his studies. On the other hand, I do not recommend dragging it out any longer than is absolutely necessary. It took me 34 months from start to finish. (became a CPCU just last month) And I admit that at times it was hard to keep the momentum going. I guess my best advice would be to get the first unit under your belt and then you'll have a better feel for what you are able to take on. Whatever you end up doing, I will say that the CPCU is a great designation to have. Not only is it very well respected by other insurance professionals, but the material you will learn is invaluable. Best of luck to you!
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

I agree, I know it's going to be very challenging and will not have any idea until I complete the first one. I started back in Jan 2007 on completing the entire SCLA in 6 months. That was brutal because there was around 30 exams to take and some serious reading. I guess the motivation is that all of those courses were considered transfer credit for my degree and it gave me the motivation to complete it fast. Also, I just completed my 4 year degree in 2 1/2 years and want to keep that momentum going by doing CPCU because some of the MBA programs I am looking at will consider CPCU for 8 to 12 graduate elective credit. Of course, I do work full time and have a wife and son, but both are going to college full time, so we are pretty busy during the evening time :lol:
LHRC
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by LHRC »

I am a CPCU with a BA. I also have several additional IIA designations. All of these designations add to your knowledge of the industry you have chosen for a career. All educational achievements are considered when a recruiter is looking to fill a position. Your resume will be compared against others for the same job. Boston University just recently sent me a letter indicating that the CPCU designation could be counted as half of a Master's degree program that can be taken online. Good luck in your educational and career choices. (P.S. I did the majority of my studying on my lunch hour. There are also commercially available study guides for CPCU to assist you that can reduce study time.) Joan
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

The best study guides for CPCU, ARM, and the like are produced by Ray Burnham.

http://burnhamsystem.com/

Read the assignments and study the Burnham materal. You will pass the tests.

Ray has also just finished a many year project on a 34,000 definition insurance dictionary. I have just ordered my copy.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to my first course, as I just placed the order.

In regards to the burnhamsystem, I tried his system during my "Program in General Studies" and found it to be a good program. I decided to purchase the "CPCU 510 Comprehensive Package (Includes Course Guide, Text, and SMART Study Aids)" since the company is paying for this and they won't pay for any external programs.
goodluck88
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by goodluck88 »

Hello everyone,
I am trying to fast tract the CPCU designation myself. I work for an Independent agency that won't pay for my study materials, so I am trying to buy used materials. Does anyone out there know a recent CPCU who would be willing to resell his or her study materials? thank you.
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

Just took CPCU 510 today. Curious if these get graded over the weekend. I am trying hard to stop looking at my email and checking the aicpcu site and focus on my CPCU 551 book. I decided to take 551/552 prior to starting on 520.
Bill
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Bill »

Love your enthusiasm, You state you want to go into the comercial side of the business. I wonder if that is on the agency or the carrier side of the business. If it is on the agency side, Then the CPCU is not as important to you, before anyone gets angry at me let me say the CPCU designation is the top of the line and I would never tell anyone not to do it. It is just very time consuming and deals with areas of insurance that is not necessary for the producer. The best designation on our side of the business is the CIC designation which is much easier to obtain, but not a cake walk. It is top notch and they have instructors teach 5 classes- personal lines. life and health, commercial property, commercial casualty and agency management. The CRM courses (Certified Risk Manager) designation deals with much more complex information. The great thing about both these designations is that you sit for a 20 hour course then take the final exam and your done. Then you can get back to doing what your supposed to do, Sell commercial insurance.
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

Not sure if that post was in reference to me taking 551/552, but I handle high exposure general liability claims for a TPA. I've been handling claims for 18 years and just recently decided to complete my CPCU, since my employer is paying for this and I can get those credits applied to either an MBA or MS in Risk Management & Insurance, as I plan to go for my graduate degree next year. In addition to wanting to get into management, I also have goals of teaching insurance and risk management courses in college, which is why I want to complete my CPCU and either MBA or MS RM & Insurance.

One of the reasons for studying for 551 now and 552 next prior to doing 520, because I just got my Arizona adjuster's license and also have to get New York and Hawaii in the next 6 months. When I compared my adjuster's study manual with the table of context for 551/552 I was surprised by how close the subjects are. Of course, 551/552 combined is 1200 pages and my adjuster's study manual is 400 pages. I figured I can take advantage of the overlap and be better prepared to get those state licenses.
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

I just got the results and passed 510. Man, I was sweating big time before taking this test. I spent almost two months reading the book twice, reading the course guide and review notes at least 5 times over until I decided two weeks ago to just create 200 flash cards from the course guide. Since, I never took the exam before, I was unsure what the best method for me.

when I took the test I was really happy that I completely recognized all but one of the questions and think the course guide and online practice exams played a big part. Especially when I made flash cards from many of the questions. For me, it was not just memorizing, but after reciting many of the questions/answers over and over, it finally starting to sink in and truly understand the three steps to this, or six steps to that. I think like some people mentioned to make sure you understood each step and what it entailed.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Congrats. Keep going.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
annlyon
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by annlyon »

I am currently at the CPCU Annual meeting in Denver. On Saturday, they had the confirmation ceremony and the completers received their designations. They also announced the top scholars with the highest overall scores. The best student completing the CPCU program for 2009 was a woman from Ohio. She finished the entire program in just 4 months which is amazing so obviously it can be done in 12-18 months.
joel66
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by joel66 »

How do they determine the people with the highest overall scores? I'm really getting upset over the quality of the customer service people at the American Institute. Yesterday I called someone to find out how long it takes for my CPCU exam to get graded and she said two to three weeks. I mentioned that I read where people were getting their results within 1 to 5 days. She was surprised to hear this and said she doesn't know anyone that gets graded this fast for CPCU. That same night I received my grade.

I just called American Institute to see if they have no scores. She mentioned they don't keep scores, you only see what is listed under the grade report. I told her it says P. She said I scored between 70 to 79%. I told her that on my overall exam score it's between 90-100 and she was even confused and said that is not right. She wouldn't even look at my account. When I asked her then how are high achievers recognized, she said American Institute has nothing to do with the CPCU annual meetings and that is done by the Society. I asked her how they get access to the scores and she said they don't and so she is unaware of any recognition for people who score high because they don't record scores.