Children's product resale store

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
mattbalt
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Children's product resale store

Post by mattbalt »

I am looking for a market for a client that has a store that sells used children's clothes, toys, and car seats. Located in he State of Ohio. You can email me at markm@mmains.net.
superdash8

Re: Children's product resale store

Post by superdash8 »

Used car seats? Good luck finding any underwriter who would write this. You will likley have to go to surplus lines for a policy that excludes products liability.
Island Girl Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Island Girl Agent »

Yes, the biggest issue you will have involves any kind of "equipment" used by babies and children. Car seats, cribs, strollers...many of these products regularly have product recalls issued and now your client has some degree of responsibility to track every item and manufacturer to be sure they are not selling something that was recalled for safety issues. Surplus lines, but expect your premium to be significant to the exposure. Best of luck...
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

I wonder how many car seats they would potentially sell? Seems like it would be more cost effective to just not sell that item versus paying such a high premium for such a risk...

Oddly enough I just finished reading a book that showed data to support that car seats are not necessarily worth their price versus lives saved. So long as you have the child sit in the right position in the vehicle (back seat), the data shows that there is no difference in purchasing a cheap car seat versus a premium model.
Island Girl Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Island Girl Agent »

Well, I have several clients who sell used merchandise, and I've given them the data on insurance costs should they decide to go into selling toys or car seats, etc. They stay away from those products. I know you can just donate them to Goodwill, that's a better option than paying outrageous premiums.
Adame526

Post by Adame526 »

I've got markets than can write the products excluding any USED cribs or car seats. MP start at $5,000 including product liab. I'd be glad to help. Feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Toni Adame-Cavage
MarketScout Wholesale LLC
P: 4806002043
tcavage@marketscout.com
www.marketscout.com/msw