Why I believe in insurance agents

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Michael Jans
Insurance Journal Fan

Why I believe in insurance agents

Post by Michael Jans »

Is a cartoon gecko or a comedian in a white dress and bright red lipstick really the best our industry can do for spokespeople? Does it drive you nuts - as it does me - that some of our biggest companies have cheapened and commoditized the product and service we offer to families, businesses and communities? Why don't doctors and lawyers advertise with cheesy cartoon characters? I suppose if they believed they were selling a commodity - where price is all that matters - they would. But, unless you're ONLY selling on price...and if you're NOT selling genuine protection...then this doesn't matter. But you know the direction this industry will take if price is all that matters. Carriers and economic forces will keep squeezing the "middle man." But that "middle man" does (and MUST) add value to the delivery chain.

I, for one, am GRATEFUL for the value that insurance agents have brought to my family. I can think of numerous instances where someone in my family was hurt...and then "patched back together" because of the value the AGENT brought to the relationship.

We've created a series of advertising assets designed to promote the Unique Value you bring to the people in communities across the country. We're offering a copy of this for free as a way of communicating this message to the public. You're welcome to use this freely. (It's already been viewed by tens of thousands of consumers...so it seems to be quickly going VIRAL.) Agents have been posting it in their Facebook, Twitter, websites, making print versions and mailing it. We've identified 12 ways to use it. Again, we're not charging. We just want to get the message out there.

You can download a copy of it (and the 12 ways to use it) from my blog here:

http://www.agencyrevolution.com/blog/en ... nce-agents

And, yes, that's my picture and that's my story. I'd appreciate any feedback you have.

Thank you - to all insurance agents - for what you do.

Michael Jans
nancyg
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Why I believe in insurance agents

Post by nancyg »

I believe in insurance agents too.
Like In most commercials/ads, we must strip away the entertainment 'value' to get to the real message.
itzawlgud
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by itzawlgud »

very nice, thanks for sharing.
BeatrixLewis
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by BeatrixLewis »

Insurance agents are here to help consumers weigh their needs, explore their options and help them choose the perfect policy for them. And yet there are still some who doubt the helpful gestures of these agents that it's just to bump their sales. But you need to understand that these people understand every little thing about insurance and they are the key in finding the appropriate coverage. I trust these agents and I owe them a lot.
FullAuto
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by FullAuto »

That cartoon lizard is the reason that company has been gaining on all its competitors. They invest heavily in advertising and it's paid off for them.
JohnnyLaw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JohnnyLaw »

Michael Jans, I know what you mean. Actually the Farmers commercial absolutely depresses me. The Lizard has become a drag as they have worn it out, like the song from the 70's "You Light Up My Life", However the most dreadful other than Farmers is the pig on a monorail from Geico. But, I grin and bear as makes easier to sell one of the products on my shelf due to giving some customers a comfort factor (God knows why ) just exposure I suppose. Makes you wonder about the talent in the Advertising Industry............
Emma
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Emma »

Michael Jans wrote:Is a cartoon gecko or a comedian in a white dress and bright red lipstick really the best our industry can do for spokespeople? Does it drive you nuts - as it does me - that some of our biggest companies have cheapened and commoditized the product and service we offer to families, businesses and communities? Why don't doctors and lawyers advertise with cheesy cartoon characters? I suppose if they believed they were selling a commodity - where price is all that matters - they would. But, unless you're ONLY selling on price...and if you're NOT selling genuine protection...then this doesn't matter. But you know the direction this industry will take if price is all that matters. Carriers and economic forces will keep squeezing the "middle man." But that "middle man" does (and MUST) add value to the delivery chain.

Why don't doctors and lawyers advertise with cheesy cartoon characters?
ABMCalifornia
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by ABMCalifornia »

Michael Jans wrote:Is a cartoon gecko or a comedian in a white dress and bright red lipstick really the best our industry can do for spokespeople? Does it drive you nuts - as it does me - that some of our biggest companies have cheapened and commoditized the product and service we offer to families, businesses and communities? Why don't doctors and lawyers advertise with cheesy cartoon characters? I suppose if they believed they were selling a commodity - where price is all that matters - they would. But, unless you're ONLY selling on price...and if you're NOT selling genuine protection...then this doesn't matter. But you know the direction this industry will take if price is all that matters. Carriers and economic forces will keep squeezing the "middle man." But that "middle man" does (and MUST) add value to the delivery chain.

I, for one, am GRATEFUL for the value that insurance agents have brought to my family. I can think of numerous instances where someone in my family was hurt...and then "patched back together" because of the value the AGENT brought to the relationship.

We've created a series of advertising assets designed to promote the Unique Value you bring to the people in communities across the country. We're offering a copy of this for free as a way of communicating this message to the public. You're welcome to use this freely. (It's already been viewed by tens of thousands of consumers...so it seems to be quickly going VIRAL.) Agents have been posting it in their Facebook, Twitter, websites, making print versions and mailing it. We've identified 12 ways to use it. Again, we're not charging. We just want to get the message out there.

You can download a copy of it (and the 12 ways to use it) from my blog here:

http://www.agencyrevolution.com/blog/en ... nce-agents

And, yes, that's my picture and that's my story. I'd appreciate any feedback you have.

Thank you - to all insurance agents - for what you do.

Michael Jans
Great post Michael. Insurance agents all over the states are grateful for clients like you that take time to show their appreciation for all the hard work that is done.
The California insurance guy.
http://www.CaliforniaQualityInsurance.com
michaeljans
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by michaeljans »

I noticed that we got a lot of traffic for our "Why I Believe" poster today, sent over from our friends at AIMS, I think. You can download the poster and use it, appropriately, on the link included in my original posting. It may not be available shortly because we are overhauling our website, so I'm sure we'll lose that link. Meanwhile, check out my original posting and get it now, if you'd like it. It's free.
alsia
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by alsia »

Michael Jans wrote:Is a cartoon gecko or a comedian in a mltailor Halloween wavy curly cosplay wigs and bright red lipstick really the best our industry can do for spokespeople? Does it drive you nuts - as it does me - that some of our biggest companies have cheapened and commoditized the product and service we offer to families, businesses and communities? Why don't doctors and lawyers advertise with cheesy cartoon characters? I suppose if they believed they were selling a commodity - where price is all that matters - they would. But, unless you're ONLY selling on price...and if you're NOT selling genuine protection...then this doesn't matter. But you know the direction this industry will take if price is all that matters. Carriers and economic forces will keep squeezing the "middle man." But that "middle man" does (and MUST) add value to the delivery chain.
and then "patched back together" because of the value the AGENT brought to the relationship.