- CompanyOneBeacon Insurance Group
- LocationChicago, IL 60606
- Posted OnFebruary 10, 2017
We currently have an opportunity available for an Underwriter to join our Management Liability Team in our Chicago, IL Office. Reporting directly to the West Region Manager, you will underwrite a portfolio of new and renewal business for Private Company and Not-for-Profit (including Health Care) accounts for Management Liability, which includes D&O, Employment Practices, Fiduciary Liability, Crime and Employed Lawyers. This position will underwrite and support business accounts within the Western and Midwest Regions with an emphasis on West Coast business.
1. Manages profitable book of business by evaluating results and conducting portfolio reviews for assigned territory and individual producers. Begins to develop integrated pictures of factors that affect profitability, growth, retention and recommends, implements, and monitors necessary action plans.
2. Examines, identifies, and evaluates exposures by analyzing documentation from various sources, such as the insurance application, internet searches, inspection reports, credit reports, etc. Makes underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within assigned underwriting authority level in partnership with underwriting team when appropriate. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws and company guidelines.
3. Develops superior working relationships with producers, and with internal and external partners, to successfully promote achievement of mutual operating goals (growth, retention and profitability) and to supply the appropriate products and services with moderate assistance.
4. Processes underwriting decisions. Documents files and reports via automated desktop systems and tools.
5. Gathers and analyzes competitor and producer information including producers’ retention, profitability and potential, in support of pricing and appetite. Works with underwriting staff to determine and make recommendations for marketing, pricing, and products.
6. Collaborates with team members to manage work inventories and all production activities in order to provide accurate and timely service in accordance with business unit standards.
7. In conjunction with other team members, travels to key producers/accounts. May participate in industry events.
8. Stays abreast of industry, territory and insurance trends.
Must be able to identify and describe the management liability key policy features. Must be able to identify and describe the underwriting exposures and hazards to consider in making an underwriting decision. Must know how to obtain information needed to make an underwriting decision. Must show the ability to develop or have proven analytical, decision making, problem-solving, communication, listening and organizational skills. Must be able to work both independently and as a highly collaborative member of a team. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite as well as electronic underwriting systems. Must be able to work in a fast pace, rapidly changing environment.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required, with an emphasis in business or insurance.
1-3 years of underwriting experience, within management liability lines of business, preferred.