- CompanyCrusader Insurance Company / Unico
- LocationWoodland Hills, CA
- Posted OnMay 14, 2013
About the Job:
We seek bright, motivated people to develop and apply skills as Trainees in our Underwriting Department. We offer a professional work environment that fosters individual growth and rewards performance. Employees have an opportunity to be involved in the decision-making process and they are encouraged to take responsibility for their own decisions and careers. We prefer people who are passionate about what they do. Join us in becoming a leader in the Financial Services and Insurance Industry by applying yourself as a Trainee, Underwriter.
This is an “inside” job at our home office in Woodland Hills, California, and presents a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in the Commercial Property & Casualty Insurance industry. Our underwriting department operates on a wholesale basis; that is we customarily work with retail agents and brokers and generally not directly with the insurance consumers. Most of the training is of the “on-the-job” type and will help you gain underwriting experience in highly specialized niche markets. With the help of our managers and supervisors, trainees will develop valuable marketing and business skills, including how to underwrite commercial insurance policies and how to manage and grow quality business relationships.
About the Employer:
We are a small, publicly owned insurance holding company traded on the NASDAQ under the symbol UNAM (Unico American Corporation). Our primary operation is a property and casualty insurance company, Crusader Insurance Company, but we also have substantial insurance agency, marketing, and underwriting operations for specialty products, including a significant health insurance division. Our management team has provided insurance services in California for over 45 years. We are committed to top-quality customer service and to consistently offering high-quality products. For more information please visit ‘crusaderinsurance.com,’ hover on “Company,” and click on “About Us.”
Our corporate offices are freeway close with many restaurants and shops nearby. In addition to providing a professional environment that respects employees’ time with their families, we offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits. Our success is due in part to the retention of valued and loyal employees, many of whom have been with Unico for over 20 years.
- Cover letter required;
- A bachelor’s degree is required
- Utilize excellent communication and marketing skills to effectively sell product features, benefits, superior customer service, and overall value
- Obtain and process information quickly and accurately in order to make appropriate decisions and recommendations in a responsive and timely manner
- Investigate, analyze, interpret and process information and facts relevant to the potential risks while retaining absolute objectivity and diplomacy
- Balance analytical skills and marketing skills in order to maintain underwriting profitability
- Approach every task in a meticulous and thorough manner, documenting actions and communications, prioritizing, scheduling; pay attention to detail and strive for accuracy at all times; identify and meet all deadlines
- Work productively with others in a team environment and keep managers updated on account status, new developments, and pending deadlines
- Maintain corporate and personal privacy and security of sensitive information at all times; quickly learn applicable legal and regulatory requirements and conduct him/herself accordingly
- Remain courteous and respectful towards everyone and provide a high level of excellent Customer Service at all times
- Accept responsibility for and ownership of all work produced; explore opportunities to add value to the job position by constantly striving to improve yourself and our operations.
The successful candidates will be able to blend sales, marketing, and analytical skills to identify business opportunities and potential risks associated with coverage requests. This will be accomplished through effective questioning, listening skills, objective determination of the facts, and the appropriate presentation of insurance coverage available and associated costs. The job requires substantial conversation with our customers (i.e., mostly insurance agents and brokers), and analytic review of insurance applications. You will be expected to identify questionable information and to address inconsistencies by using good judgment, examining investigative reports, and by following company protocol. All employees must contribute to our team effort by performing as needed and by helping to maintain a good reputation for our company’s products and services. There will be a substantial amount of work on the telephone and on the computer.
Benefits – An attractive compensation package is available for this exciting opportunity, including:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Prescription drug coverage
- Disability benefits
- Life insurance
- Profit sharing
- Paid sick leave & vacations
- Paid Company holidays
- Tuition reimbursement plan
- Free parking
Unico American Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Local applicants are encouraged to apply. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Must be eligible to work in this country. Unable to sponsor or transfer H1 visas at this time.
How to ApplyPlease contact:
Human Resources Mgr.
Unico American Corp.
23251 Mulholland Drive
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
818-591-9800, x 290