The federal government has informed New Jersey that it has approved its plan to spend $1.46 billion in its second round of state-controlled Superstorm Sandy recovery funds.
Department of Housing and Urban Development spokesman Patrick Rodenbush said a letter was sent to state officials last Friday to let them know the money was approved.
The letter was not made public last Friday, so it is not clear if the U.S. asked the state to change any of the details of the plan. But state Community Affairs Commissioner Richard Constable told The Associated Press earlier last week that he did not expect major changes.
The state wanted to spend about half the funds on housing relief programs. There would also be a fund to help lower-income storm victims.
- Christie: All Eligible Sandy-Damaged Homes in N.J. Will Get Funding to Rebuild
- Many Jersey Shore Families Still Seeking Normalcy After Sandy
- New Jersey Dispersed Just 25% of Federal Sandy Aid in 11 Months