High-Speed Tesla Crash Tests Electric Car Safety

By Alan Ohnsman | July 11, 2014

• July 11, 2014 at 6:12 am
    Jim says:
    Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• July 11, 2014 at 10:34 am
      SWFL Agent says:
      Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

I believe it’s a stretch to state that “The fact that the Tesla was ripped in half, suggests that Tesla has a structural weakness”. You have no information on the size & age of the light pole. You spent a lot of time & effort on your post. Why not tell us the real reason you have an axe to grind with Tesla?

• July 11, 2014 at 1:34 pm
      mikey says:
      Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

Way too long of a post dude. Lost interest

• July 11, 2014 at 3:33 pm
      JackB125 says:
      Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

Looking over Jim’s comment, I realized that for the last 2-3 years, I have been puzzled by the level of vitriol spewed across the comment sections of Tesla articles. The amount of constant, dedicated, long-term energy that some negative commenters have shown is just amazing (and sort of impressive in a sad way).

The question I have is “Why?”. There are many companies that for one reason or another I don’t care for (BOA comes to mind); however, I spend almost zero time thinking about them & I sure don’t waste any of my time blogging about them.

Why does Tesla affect some people so strongly? Are they just trying to affect the stock price so they can clear a short position? Or, did Elon Musk shoot their dog? I find the former more likely than the latter. Yet, I don’t believe the “short” theory is the whole story by any means. Something else is at work here. But what?

I really am puzzled. Serious, well thought out replies would be appreciated.

• July 12, 2014 at 4:52 pm
        Jeremy Friesner says:
        Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

This probably isn’t a well thought-out reply, but I’ll post it anyway.

My suspicion is that whenever a much-praised new product (like the iPhone or the Model S) comes out, a number of people become “fanboys”, in that they start to identify with the product so much that they feel personally offended when anyone criticizes it and feel the need to defend it, sometimes past the point of rationality. That, in turn, irritates some other people and causes them to become “anti-fanboys”, in that they start to identify themselves as the people who must keep the fanboys’ enthusiasm in check. Members of these two groups then argue it out regularly on-line, often resorting to name-calling and so on, and in the process polarize each other further, solidifying their identities as pro- or anti- (whatever the product is).

My theory is that when you see someone overreacting like that, there is probably a long and bitter thread on some message board somewhere that would explain how they got that way.

• July 11, 2014 at 6:52 pm
      J says:

Troll
      Found your exact same comment on another website; seriously you must be working for the competition or have some other agenda…

• July 11, 2014 at 10:14 am
    InsGuy says:
    Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

Just keep driving your gas powered car then! That’s certainly much less flammable than the battery powered Tesla model. Feel free to smoke while filling your tank also, that’ll help prove your point.

• July 11, 2014 at 1:01 pm
      txmouthbreatherboogereatertx says:
      Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

Bongs hits with a splash of road head is the real way to go