Insurance Journal Ad & Marketing

My Love/Hate Relationship with LinkedIn

By | November 7, 2011

• November 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm
    William (Bill) Leak says:

“How do you feel about it? Am I wrong? Talk to me. Julie”

You ARE 100% spot on! It’s an amazing tool, but can painfully
    backfire if not used (settings) properly.

• November 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm
    Lou B says:

It is much like a car. In the wrong hands it will kill you; however, used correctly it is a great way to take you from point A to point B.

Just like anything else, use it wisely.
    1) Only link to people you know.
    2) keep it professional at all times
    3) It is not Facebook (unless you cook for a living we do not care how you cook a roast)
    4) Plug your contacts with a recommendation if they do good work.

• November 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm
    Agent says:

You can block your competitor from seeing 90% of your connections. The only connections you have are the ones that you have in common.

This can be managed in your settings on LinkedIn.

• November 14, 2011 at 9:57 am
    PatAlexander says:

I find all social networks annoying in the email notification area. They should all be set to off and let the user select what notifications they want. I also agree that it is somewhat creepy feeling when people you don’t know at all want to be a connection in Linkedin or wants to be your “friend” on FB or starts following you on Twitter. I no longer have any fear of either not accepting one of these or deleting someone that I find unacceptable in my feed. We have been conditioned to be open and accepting in social media. I think that has to be tempered to what and who we are comfortable with as well.

Great article.

• December 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm
    Steven Severn says:

LinkedIn is one of the best tools to connect with professionals out there. You state that accepting someone as a connection is the same as giving someone your entire client and prospect database. Really? Isn’t that a little extreme? If you are that concerned with competitors stealing your clients, try adjusting your setting so that no one else can see your contacts. Any other reasons why you ‘Hate’ LinkedIn?

• December 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm
    Julie Tinney says:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Some of you mentioned that you can just ‘adjust your settings’ so no one can see your contacts. But did you know that even if you set your “privacy controls” to “only you” under “select who can see your connections”, your contacts are STILL going to be offered up as “People You May Know” to others you’ve connected with? Try it with a buddy. I think that’s a big flaw, don’t you? And yeah, it’s not exactly the same as offering up your database, but it still makes me uneasy:-)

• December 6, 2011 at 12:01 am
    Tom Bone says:

Julie, you are such a complainer! Find something worth while to complain about. Many of us have taken the time to use LinkedIn in an effective professional tool to gain and to share knowledge and experience….I guess you are a target because of your roll in the media. Get a grip…smile with your prose like you do in your photo.

• December 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm
      Good Points says:

@Tom & Steven- I can see where you’re coming from, but I’m going to have to side with the author on this one.

I think Julie made a valid point that users should be aware of how LinkedIn is sharing their contacts and be sensible about who they accept into their networks. (And I found the playfully satirical tone of the blog post to be very entertaining!)

• December 12, 2011 at 6:56 pm
    Robyn says:

Julie – your comments are on point. Recently, I have received a number of telephone solicitations from financial advisors, vendors that I don’t know and the group e-mails drive me crazy (I need to figure out how to end the daily e-mails from the groups).

I do like Linked In but never expected it to be invasive – can you put a “do not call” request in :))

• December 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm
    private risk advisor says:

Invitations from competitors to connect with them on LinkedIn indicate 1 of 2 things: 1. either they think you are dumb, or 2. they are, if not dumb themselves, at least remarkably uniformed about what LinkedIn is designed to do. I explained the obvious issues to the very few comeptitors of mine who invited me, and they were apologetic and thanked me for explaining why connecting does not make sense. This really should not be an issue —

• February 3, 2012 at 8:58 am
    Cindy Donaldson says:

I gotta say – I love LinkedIn and the reality is my competition’s top prospects are already my top customers and vice versa – so it really isn’t a secret. To be honest I would rather be connected with my competition and know what they are up to, how they interact on social media etc than be blind.

LinkedIn is a great tool to connect with like minds. Don’t forget that competition might be a future employee or employer. I say never burn a bridge and embrace competition.

Lastly – you aren’t alone! I’ve done many a seminar on this subject and a lot of people feel as you do. Perhaps I’m the minority.

Good luck!!!