Trucking

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
kyliehuynh
Insurance Journal Fan

Trucking

Post by kyliehuynh »

I have a potential client whos requesting a quote for 10 wheelers that travels more than 500 miles radius but I do not know any company that would insure this risk. I have tried Farmers, Progressive, Insurance Noodle, and Bliss&glennon.
Please let me know if there is any carrier for this risk in the state of Texas?
csr@srp-ins.com
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Trucking

Post by csr@srp-ins.com »

You should try a wholesaler that has access to AI Truck or a Sweet & Crawford they write long haul truckers.
jimmyr1978
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jimmyr1978 »

There are many carriers that write long-haul trucking, but you need to know the following:

- What is their DOT Compliance rating?
- What are they hauling?
- Contract or common carrier (or mixture of both)?
- Do they require filings? Where? What type?
- What type of equipment are they running? How old? How many miles per unit per year?

To be honest, trucking is one of the most difficult risks to manage, and if you don't know the industry, you need to partner with a wholesaler that writes a ton of trucking. There are dozens of agencies in Texas that do nothing but trucking, and you'll be competing with them, their premium volume and market knowledge.

Some good wholesalers for primary auto liability include: Swett & Crawford - Minneapolis, Transporation Insurance Services (TIS) - Des Moines, Gresham. The key primary, admitted markets are: Northland, Continental Western, Great West (you will not be able to approach them - very tough to get appointed), Lancer, and about a dozen others that tend to do better in specific trucking niches (hazmat, livestock, dump, etc.).

Expect a mountain of supplemental applications and requests for additional information, including IFTA reports, financial statements, driver training manuals, etc.

Don't want to scare you, but be prepared for a lot of work. Partner with the right wholesaler, and you'll be okay.
Brenda H
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Brenda H »

For the trucking risks that we have written, we go to US Risk in San Antonio, Heather Camp. You might also try Capstone Underwriters in Dallas. Either of these has a dedicated department for transportation risks.