Landslide Insurance?

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Joe Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Joe Agent »

Does anyone know where to get landslide insurance in California.

Thank you for your replies.
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Joe agent, Is this an insurance journal joke? O' good one. OK I will assume this is not a test. There is NO coverage being offered in CA or any other state. I have heard several years ago one of the Llyods Ins., sub companies was thinking about introducing a PKG. The losses are to few, ( 5 home here, 3 home there) The policies would have to be priced so high it would not be affordable.
Joe Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Joe Agent »

No joke, I have a client that wants it. I think Montgomery & Collins, a San Francisco insurance brokerage, will do it.
bigalj
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by bigalj »

insurecat.com offers catastrophe coverage that covers landslide & flood, but excludes earthquake in CA.
jks
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jks »

Lloyds offers both landslide and flood insurance coverage to consumers and businesses. A company called Poulton Associates is connecting California insurance agents and property owners to the program through its Web site called InsureCat.com. I believe it is underwritten by AmWINS Insurance Brokerage in California, but I don't think they'll write to in areas known to have landslide conditions.

In Pennsylvania, the legislature is looking at a law to create a landslide insurance program for homeowners, too.
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Joe agent, please make sure you read the form coverage. (Not Flood Ins) Montgomery & Collin is offering Landslide protection through Llyods of London. You don't need M/C to buy. Any MGA that offer Llyods will sell it. The problem is, it's being offered in CA this year (new market). If the buyer lives in and area that has had any documented landslides or is prone too. ( they won't offer to you). Llyods will most likely pull out of this new market in a few years. They start these markets make money and get out. The coverage is very expensive 600.00 per 100,000 of coverage and you must insure for replacement Value. Your talking big bucks in California. :angry:
There no money to be made its one here one there.
Joe Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Joe Agent »

I just got appointed with insurecat.com. The policy premium for an $800,000 replacement is $2800. Covers flood and landslide.

Thanks for your help.
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gregcw »

Isn't this just DIC (difference in conditions) insurance?? I know that I can't get it on the edge of a cliff or overlooking the beach in Oregon.
Gregcw
Joe Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Joe Agent »

It states landslide and flood insurance.
jtabosida
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jtabosida »

Blame an earthquake as the proximate cause of the landslide. We have them everyday and it could be justified. Although the carrier, if they have earthquake coverage, may deny it, the carrier would have the burden of proof. Just a creative suggestion I dont believe there is any such coverage available. Good luck!