Appointments, bank rolls, dinner rolls and MGA's

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Crazy Rick
Insurance Journal Fan

Appointments, bank rolls, dinner rolls and MGA's

Post by Crazy Rick »

Folks,

I'm about to embark on my L&H career. I've been reading all of your advice on this site. I've got some questions for anyone here who's obviously experienced. Help me out cuz I'm ready to wail. I've already got my retirement property picked out and 100 cases of Kettle One have my name on it, seriously.
I love this industry! It's so cool, I can't wait to really hit it and neither can my GF or my instructors.
1) "Most MGA's and wholesalers would be happy to appoint you even without volume commitment."
MUD
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by MUD »

You should originally sign up with an MGA, he has made a committment to life insurer and will 'usually' pay a higher commission than if you were to license directly with insurer. You cannot promise, starting out, something you have never done.
You mentioned no need for bankroll.....that is mostly true, but if you do something part time, you will only make part time money. Your costs will be higher than you think...E&O, lead generation, $.50 cents per mile wear and tear on car, 800#, business cards, advertising, self investment- usually 10% of expected income(so you will constantly improve), postage, etc. The money a life insurer pays you is a loan. They usually advance commissions instead of pay as earned. So if something happens...they are covered.
If this is something you honestly want to do, then where is your business plan? Where is your full time committment? I suggest reading Todd Duncan's "The Power to Be Your Best"!!! I am doing the exact same thing as I write this response. My hard date is 8/15/06 - I am jumping in full time as a producer in the life insurance field again after a 3 year absence. Many lessons learned and much wisdom gained by reading and applying material from people like Todd Duncan.
I am with you but you need much more than simple advice and a positive take charge attitude. 95% of the people will go 95% of the way and SETTLE for only 5% of what is available to them. There is another 5% who will go 100% of the way and demand 95% of what is available to them.
It seems this is all about you and your potential victims. I am going in to fill a legitimate need. I will be serving my clients interest and not my pocket book and my retirement dreams.
If the people you are talking to now, are selling you a get rich quick approach......run now or we will be reading about you in this Journal. "Suspect arrested on theft charges...etc....etc..."
Brandy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Brandy »

Rick,
I think you've become a little confussed but I'll try to answer your questions. First of all you must realize that the majority of the producers on this forum are P&C producers not L&H.

1) "Most MGA's and wholesalers would be happy to appoint you even without volume commitment."
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

2) "Then go with a broker who has a good commission split program and where you're able to buy your book of business"
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Go solo

Post by volstrike3 »

I agree with 92builder. It less expensive, less stressful and more honorable to simply buy your book of business.
Crazy Rick
Insurance Journal Fan

Thank you

Post by Crazy Rick »

Thanks for all your help folks. No, I don't think this is a get-rich-quick industry, I'm just really excited to get moving on my own! I finally discovered by accident, an industry that I love, (besides music), an industry that I will excel in. Yes, I'm going to demand 95% that's available. I'll gain skills of course and thru experience, after a while, I will have the ability to work anywhere in the world! Thanks for all your advise. I learned a lot!

Crazy Rick
8)
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

I wish you good luck in your endeavor; it's not that this is or isn't a "get rich quick" business, b/c it can be just that. What I was trying to get across to you, and I think others will agree with me, is to not let the visions of your retirement cottage cloud your view so that you fail to do what your customers expect.

If you've been reading this board as much as you say you have, then you'll know that most of us doing the posting try to keep everyone grounded as far as expectations. This is not the "snake oil" business it once was. Agents are educated, professional, and the watchdogs of the industry. It is up to the indie agent to make sure there is an industry here in 20 or 30 years just in case our kids wish to follow in our footsteps.
Brandy
Insurance Journal Addict

The Future of Insurance

Post by Brandy »

92builder......here here, I couldn't agree with you more.