RV rental

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

RV rental

Post by Rob »

I was contacted by a customer who currently has an RV and boat storage business that is insured elsewhere (not happy with agent but just renewed).

They are looking into starting an RV rental business.

Anyone familiar with insuring this type of business? What would be the correct way to do this?

Finally, how would you go about helping this person out who is "looking for quotes to see if this type of business is feasible"?
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Wow, 28 views and nobody has any idea?
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

If you are an ISO member...or have SilverPLume or similar...search there for coverage guides.

Would also check out carriers/mga's that write traditional rental exposures.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Rob, it's not that we don't have any ideas, it's just that unless this guy is seriously going to do this you're going to spend a lot of time on it for nothing. I have a client that is always coming up with he's going to do this and that and at first I chased around finding someone that would do it and ballpark pricing - now when he asks I tell him that I need to pick out my new BMW before I give him the figure..... Laugh all you want but it works. Now if you want to seriously work on this - contact a large GA that will be able to do the auto for hire and get a ballpark. Then double it and see if the client still wants you to pursue.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Yes I normally wouldn't spin my wheels but I was curious about the right way to write this type of risk. In light of the fact that this person is just considering the business, I sent an email to her advising I don't have a market (even though my research has found a GA that will do this). I could send her an application but I don't want to do it without a padded ballpark so I don't waste my time.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Cathiea is right

Post by d's insurance store »

Gosh, I really love my job when I get inquiries like Rob just received. People who are not familiar with the ins and outs of insurance really don't have a clue that you just can't trwil in your chair, punch a few keys on the computer and come up with a rate just like you can with a personal lines renters policy.

Becasue Rob has been around long enough that he probably doesn't need the practice quoting, what I can offer is if you've found an MGA who has a market for this stuff, and you've placed other business with the MGA, then you can ask for a 'range' of price indications...and then like CATHIEA says, double it.

What you can also do is suggest that the prospect contact a trade association for RV rental companies and see if they have a program available. Let someone who deals with this day in and day out give the price indication.

And if all else fails, I just throw out a number like $20K and see what the reaction is. If the prospect is serious about a business plan you'll know it soon enough and then you can decide to take this prospect seriously or not.
E&S Man
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by E&S Man »

Whatever you do, don't throw out a number as low as $20k. You won't get it placed anywhere near that unless he has just 2 or 3 units. Many markets that will do this might have a minimum premium higher than that.

Do you know how many RV's he plans to have? What type and lengths? Approximate values? Expected rental revenues?
insurancemaedchen
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by insurancemaedchen »

contact Thum Insurance at 1800-866-0777 for commercial Insurance on
Rv rental: website:www.thuminsurance.com