Worker's Comp for owner-no employees?

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
goredsox
Insurance Journal Addict

Worker's Comp for owner-no employees?

Post by goredsox »

I just received a phone call from a carpenter we insure. He is a sub. The contractor wants all the subs to get wc insurance. My customer has no employees. Is there something out there for just him?
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Worker's Comp for owner-no employees?

Post by wlunday »

It may depend on the state. What state is the client in?
goredsox
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by goredsox »

Rhode Island
asag
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by asag »

AIG can offer "Occupational Accident" coverage for Independent Contractors on a Group basis.
ForumReader1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by ForumReader1 »

Usually this information is available online if you do a search. A description of who is required to carry WC insurance in any particular state should be defined in that state's code. According to the website below, in Rhode Island a sole proprietor cannot purchase WC insurance on himself.

http://www.goodneighborall.com/wc.html
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gregcw »

goredsox wrote:I just received a phone call from a carpenter we insure. He is a sub. The contractor wants all the subs to get wc insurance. My customer has no employees. Is there something out there for just him?
Since he is not required to carry WC because of no employees and your state will not allow the insured to cover himself, the primary/general should not require it. If he still does the only option would be to get a policy on an if any basis.
Gregcw
westlean
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by westlean »

In Michigan, sole proprietors are also not allowed to have a worker's compensation policy for themselves. In these instances, we use the Michigan Worker's Compensation Placement Facility to issue an "if any" policy on behalf of the insured. It costs $800 annually, and if they do not show any payroll or file any claims, they get a refund of over half. This satisfies the requirements of the GC and is still in accordance with MI law. I would recommend checking with your state to see if they offer something similar.