Need Product Liability Coverage for Dental item

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Agent79
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Need Product Liability Coverage for Dental item

Post by Agent79 »

My Dentist invented a little dental tool thing. Some kind of forceps thing that is able to hold 2 sheets of the bite paper. Anyway, it a pretty safe type item and I see no way anybody could get hurt or claim a problem but he needs product liability coverage. The item costs about $35 and the dental supply firm sells about $15,000 worth a year. Anyway, I have only been able to get one quote, Essex/Shrand for about $4,500 a year. The Dentist is bummed to be quoted $4,500 when he only makes his cut of $10,000. Half just to the insurance company? Anyway, anybody have any thoughts on this, where to go, what type of rate to expect? I don't do this enough to know what a good rate is frankly.
ffisher
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Need Product Liability Coverage for Dental item

Post by ffisher »

I am happy to help=- we ahve several markets for Medical/ Dental Prodict Liability- How can we be of assistance- Pls feel free to email me at ffisher@e-o.com of call me at 310-322-1301
Shagster12
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Need Product Liability Coverage for Dental item

Post by Shagster12 »

Hi 79,
I'd have to think you could get a standard market quote for something this innocuous with the limited exposure in receipts.
Golden Eagle has 2 class codes they should write this under, 59781 Tool mfg. - Accessories and / or 59782 Tool Mfg. - Hand type not powered. I would think this would fit there at minimum premiums.
Or try the other standard markets, Safeco, Travelers, CNA, One Beacon, Hartford or maybe Firemans Fund.
One suggestion though, give your underwriters a little better description of the product than "Some kind of forceps thing". Give them the material product is made from and a picture of the item if possible. SHOW them that it is harmless and you should be good to go!
Good Luck,
Shagster