PA Dog Liability to meet State Requirements

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Suze
Insurance Journal Fan

PA Dog Liability to meet State Requirements

Post by Suze »

I have an insured with a dog who has previously bitten. Even though the dog was a guidedog, on her own property and provoked enough that I would have bit the hoodlum, the state is requiring insurance to cover the dog liability or the dog must be put down.

I wrote a policy through X insurance, but the state will not take it because there are too many stipulations. The company states coverage will be excluded if the animal's shots and license are not up to date. The state said this is not acceptable - the policy must cover regardless. They advised any homeowners would cover the dog liabilty, but I have found no one who will write a home or dog liability without these stipulations. Any suggestions?
CSRQueen
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: PA Dog Liability to meet State Requirements

Post by CSRQueen »

Let me guess ...they're with American Modern or Foremost. Both carriers have the Animal Exclusion built in to their "Specialty" Homeowner's products. Have you tried speaking to a standard carrier such as Travelers? Perhaps with other lines of business included the carrier would be willing to look past the dog bite & at the extenuating circumstances that caused the dog to bite. I find that I have better luck placing business with some hair on it through carriers with whom I have a good relationship. Try your "go to" carriers first - the ones with underwriters that you know & work with often. If this is the only thing wrong with the account & the rest of it is good, I think they'd be more inclined to write it.
mica.cooper
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by mica.cooper »

So the bite was with reasonable cause and provocation.

Another case where the government is forcing someone to buy insurance. It just does not sound legal or enforceable, especially since it is a guidedog. I would think there should be a procedure whereby the owner could request a hearing, and if there is no legal recourse available, the law should be struck down. Punishments where there is no legal recourse as a general rule get flat pounded by the courts.
wariline
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wariline »

So you're saying the mandatory auto liability insurance or WC are illegal?
mica.cooper wrote:So the bite was with reasonable cause and provocation.

Another case where the government is forcing someone to buy insurance. It just does not sound legal or enforceable, especially since it is a guidedog. I would think there should be a procedure whereby the owner could request a hearing, and if there is no legal recourse available, the law should be struck down. Punishments where there is no legal recourse as a general rule get flat pounded by the courts.
Gardia
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Gardia »

I don't know if Farmers Insurance is in PA but they don't exclude dogs on their new policies.
pecosins
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by pecosins »

CSRQueen wrote:Let me guess ...they're with American Modern or Foremost. Both carriers have the Animal Exclusion built in to their "Specialty" Homeowner's products. Have you tried speaking to a standard carrier such as Travelers? Perhaps with other lines of business included the carrier would be willing to look past the dog bite & at the extenuating circumstances that caused the dog to bite. I find that I have better luck placing business with some hair on it through carriers with whom I have a good relationship. Try your "go to" carriers first - the ones with underwriters that you know & work with often. If this is the only thing wrong with the account & the rest of it is good, I think they'd be more inclined to write it.
Traveler will not write it. I do not know any company will wirte dog with history of bitten
Suze
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Suze »

This is exactly the problem... Even Foremost, Travelers, State Farm, Safeco, and smaller mutual companies all will not write if dog has previously bitten - regardless of circumstance. The question is right on the application so I have to answer it.
azcompanyman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by azcompanyman »

Did you try contacting a wholesale broker / MGA to check with non-standard markets?

Also, I just found this link on places to find umbrella or canine liability coverage:

http://dogbitelaw.com/insurance-for-dog ... rance.html