Live Music venue in CA with open A&B claim

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Live Music venue in CA with open A&B claim

Post by Rob »

I have been the broker for several years on this account. It is a bar and live music venue that is ALL ages. It has one assault and battery claim for 2007 that was closed with zero paid. There is one open assault and battery claim that has been in limbo for about two years with no response from the claimants attorney to the claims adjuster. The claims adjuster can't close it out until the statute is over which just happens to be about two weeks after the insureds renewal.

I am working with a wholesaler who has submitted it to the following carriers:

Burlinton
Gemini
Capitol Specialty
James River
United National
Endurance
American Safety
Century Surety
Indemnity Insurance Corp
Chubb Custom
Colony
Scottsdale
Arch
First Mercury
Landmark
Acceptance Casualty
Alterra
Essex
Interstate
Liberty

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions other than those listed. I'm finding it doubtful that any carrier is going to offer assault and battery now which would be very unfortunate for the insured.
SFOInsuranceLady
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Live Music venue in CA with open A&B claim

Post by SFOInsuranceLady »

I'm an agent in California, too....what I can't understand is how is the insured operating LEGALLY as a bar that admits ALL ages? I am aware of 18 & older clubs, but not a club that would allow ALL ages....are you sure your client is legitimate? Just with that information alone, I can't see any carrier wanting to quote this risk, let alone having an open A&B claim on the books.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

SFOInsuranceLady wrote:I'm an agent in California, too....what I can't understand is how is the insured operating LEGALLY as a bar that admits ALL ages? I am aware of 18 & older clubs, but not a club that would allow ALL ages....are you sure your client is legitimate? Just with that information alone, I can't see any carrier wanting to quote this risk, let alone having an open A&B claim on the books.
The liquor license he possesses is that of a restaurant and food is served during all hours. Strict controls are in place to ensure separation between the bar area and the "general" area as well as the use of wrist bands, security, and other measures. I know of other live music venues that operate like this as well.
Cindy Blazer
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Cindy Blazer »

Catlin Insurance Company might consider this risk, but with an Assault & Battery sublimit. If interested, please forward your submission to cindyb@monarchexcess.com. Please let me know what your target premium is. Thanks.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Cindy Blazer wrote:Catlin Insurance Company might consider this risk, but with an Assault & Battery sublimit. If interested, please forward your submission to cindyb@monarchexcess.com. Please let me know what your target premium is. Thanks.
Thank you for the offer but Catlin has already declined.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

If I am reading this correctly, the risk has had 2 A/B claims; one is closed, one is still open? That could make A/B very difficult to secure. Who is the expiring carrier? Do they have A/B now? I am guessing from the markets your wholesaler approached that this risk must have enough receipts to justify a $25,000 or more minimum premium. The only other market I can think of who likes bars, liquor and music could be Golden Bear, but they would likely not be interested in the A/B piece.

If you are interested in approaching Golden Bear, PM me and we can chat in more detail.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

LadyBroker wrote:If I am reading this correctly, the risk has had 2 A/B claims; one is closed, one is still open? That could make A/B very difficult to secure. Who is the expiring carrier? Do they have A/B now? I am guessing from the markets your wholesaler approached that this risk must have enough receipts to justify a $25,000 or more minimum premium. The only other market I can think of who likes bars, liquor and music could be Golden Bear, but they would likely not be interested in the A/B piece.

If you are interested in approaching Golden Bear, PM me and we can chat in more detail.
Yes, one closed with zero paid and one is open with a small reserve. They do have A&B now but the expiring carrier is non-renewing. The non-renewal states that they are just no longer insuring these type venues. We have a GL quote already from James River for GL only without liquor or A&B and the premium is about the same as their expiring which does provide A&B and Liquor.