Insuring vehicle owned by an estate

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
asolomon
Insurance Journal Fan

Insuring vehicle owned by an estate

Post by asolomon »

I am the Executor of my sister's estate. I would like to take over the payments and keep the vehicle. The finance company has agreed to this, but insists that my sister's name remains on the title until all payments are made. Is there any way to obtain insurance coverage for this vehicle which I will drive, but not own. I live in PA and the vehicle will be garaged in PA.
jtownagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Insuring vehicle owned by an estate

Post by jtownagent »

Insure the vehicle in your sisters name and add yourself as a driver.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

Progressive Insurance will write a policy for just about anyone on any vehicle. Doesn't matter if you own it or not. Two non-related individuals can be on the same policy with each other's vehicles (domestic partners). Call a local independent agent that represents Progressive for the best advice!! :D :D :D
Last edited by yoyowordup on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
riskmgmtconsult
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by riskmgmtconsult »

If the car is owned by the Estate, they must also be listed on this policy and on any excess/umbrella, otherwise they are bare and you could lose much more than a car.
gforaker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gforaker »

Not enough assets in the estate to pay off the loan? That is the usual solution.

Second best is to take out a new car loan in your own name to pay off the loan and have the car in your own name. All other solutions posted are workarounds and either legally lacking or will cost more for insurance.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

riskmgmtconsult wrote:If the car is owned by the Estate, they must also be listed on this policy and on any excess/umbrella, otherwise they are bare and you could lose much more than a car.
Actually, most private passenger auto policies include the following as to who is "insured": "For "your covered auto", any person or organizations but only with respect to legal responsibility for acts or omissions of a person for whom coverage is afforded under this Part".

I would think the Estate would have insured status under this definition.
jtownagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jtownagent »

right on yoyowordup. I agree.