musicians - IN

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
hoosier08
Insurance Journal Fan

musicians - IN

Post by hoosier08 »

I'm getting to know several Christian musicians and would like to know what markets are available. The groups I've met recently have a CD out and are trying to go into other states. Their syle is usually hard rock/metal and/or rap. Their venues are usually festivals, churches and non-alcohol clubs. Is this a good time for the bands to look to starting insurance when they are beginning to record and travel?
Pacman
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: musicians - IN

Post by Pacman »

We have a large book of entertainment insurance in the Midwest including several record companies and venues, the individual artist is not a difficult market, but before you start marketing the risk, you have to answer a number of questions

The first question to ask is what type of coverage they are looking for, General Liability? are they individuals, corporations, LLC, partnerships, other? Equipment coverage, should be written on a equipment floater for instruments, sound equipment, lighting, what about the auto coverage since they are traveling, owned, non-owned, hired, leased - liaiblity, physcal damage of leased, non owned vehicles, what about injuries to the participants, they are probably not being paid,nor are they employees, so do you feel workers comp in Indiana would apply? are they classified as volunteers, independent contractors, owners? Is there a DBA or informal partnership that is not registered or filed with the state, the question of who is the insured and who has insurable interest become interesting questions that need to addressed before any policy is issued. In addition, for most of the informal bands, the owner of the instruments and equipment is not the band but the band members, they must be shown as loss payees and additional insureds under the equipment floater if they are not shown as the named insured.

Once you look at moving forward, there are several great markets including K&K, Abacus, and Encore Entertainment that would look at them, if they are individual artists, the premiums will be hefty with $1,000+ min premiums. Contact me if you need any other assistance or have other questions my email is Steve@Paczolt.com
hhrchevy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: musicians - IN

Post by hhrchevy »

If your band needs convincing that liability insurance is required refer them to the Great White performance in Rhode Island. With 100 fans dead, and hardly any insurance in place, this destroyed many lives:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

Although this is a Christian band and will probably never reach this magnitude of destruction, performers should be alerted of the suits that could be filed against them even on small scale incidences.