SOCAL Brush

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

SOCAL Brush

Post by JAM »

Anyone know of standard carriers that wil write in CA Brush line?
Travelers, Hartford, Fidelity have all said no. Value is $1.1. I know about lexington and Lloyds but they have quotes from Farmers and State farm so I need something competitive. Thanks
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
csrsd
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: SOCAL Brush

Post by csrsd »

I deal with this situation a lot, since I am in San Diego and pretty much everything here is considered "brush". Chubb is pretty good about brush clearance, only requiring 150'. However, it is hard to compete with Farmers and State Farm. We have people in San Diego still waiting for Farmers to pay them for the total loss of their homes in the 2007 wildfires, so you might consider letting your client know that "you get what you pay for".
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: SOCAL Brush

Post by d's insurance store »

My suggestion is to move on. When you have prospects with brush issues in California and Travelers and Hartford (two of the more liberal preferred carriers with brush issues) are declining, but State Farm, Farmers and/or AAA or USAA are saying yes, then you're not ever going to win.

You can beat your head against the wall all you wish, but those direct carriers have made strategic decisions to take those kinds of risks and absorb the potential losses (and there ultimately will be losses) in order to gain market share. There's probably a sound underwriting message when so many carriers say no, but I can appreciate the fact that doesn't put any money in your pocket, but there are times in insurance sales where you shake your head in amazement and just move on. Let it go. Find other prospects. Get on with your business life.