CA Electrical Contractor BOP/GL

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
joey52
Insurance Journal Addict

CA Electrical Contractor BOP/GL

Post by joey52 »

Looing for markets for an electrical contractor, al work is interior commercial nothing over 2 or 3 stories. no new construciton or residential. Basic re-wiring and installaiton of lighting system. their payroll is about $1mil projected, with revenues of 6-7mil. Currently with Farmers and rates are going up. they will bring commercial auto and a $6 mil umbrella. Need 2mil/4mil on the BOP.

Thanks
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CA Electrical Contractor BOP/GL

Post by LadyBroker »

There are any number of Preferred carriers (Allied, CNAInsurance) who write commercial contractors. Have you checked with your Direct writiers?
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JAM »

Victory has a good admitted program.
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
ryanweds012
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ryanweds012 »

I found commercial led lighting for electrical contractor for commercial and home used.
uwalka03
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by uwalka03 »

If they have a good loss history then the preferreds are the way to go if you want a ture BOP (Travelers, CNA, Allied etc). You will still need to write the umbrella and comm auto seperate. You can access these through several wholesales if you don't have the diect appointment. Builders and Tradesmens has an excellently priced contractor program, but everything is monoline. They will write 1/2/2 mil cgl on the underlying, and then up to a 5 million seperate excess. They can also write the inland marine / contractors equipment and the commercial auto. These will all be seperate policies, but they do offer multi-policy discounts for some of them.
mightyquinn
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by mightyquinn »

"Competing" with Farmers is usually like waiting for Godot. You'll get your best coverage with them but if you want to move for money, then you accept the possible consequences. I suggest that you get your client to sign off that he wants to buy price rather than coverage. If he's not willing to do that up front, then take the lead from there.

Post by joey52 »

@mightyquinn, are you telling me that Farmers has better coverages than other preferred carriers? I have come up against their homeowners policy many times, and there is nothing special about this. I have taken a close look at their BOPS's/
justthere
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by justthere »

JOEY52 - I don't know how you correlate Homeowners coverage with BOP coverage. There simply is no comparison. The Farmers Contractors BOP is highly competitive in coverages for some classes, including Electricians. The only problem is an 11/85 form or equivalent is needed. Farmers generally will not supply that. Be aware that Farmers will only go to $1,000,000 in payroll for the Contractor BOP. So, if you do get this guy to leave Farmers and a problem occurs and his payroll is too high, Farmers will not take them back and you may end up with a problem, especially if you move the guy from a preferred market to surplus lines, which is illegal in California. Be careful.
ryanweds012
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ryanweds012 »

Commercial LED lighting save power energy, maintenance and cost and its natural fit for renovation for new
projects.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

Moving a policy from preferred lines to Surplus lines is not illegal, IF you do it for Forms or Coverages, and not for price. If Farmers cannot offer the CG2010 11/85, and the E &S carriers will do so, then you move it.
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JAM »

Farmers is barely catching up on their BOPS now. They are also getting rate increases all the time. Other preferred carriers will do better. Also,Their EPLI does not cover Wage and Hour.
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

Good point about the Wage and Hour on the EPLI. That is a material coverage deficiency for Farmers. I am actually surprised they have not addressed that yet.
bkrigsman
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by bkrigsman »

@JAM Scottsdale offers Wage and Hour endorsement. Almost all wholesalers have access to Scottsdale
IAgent
chrisg
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by chrisg »

Travelers Select will most likely write this risk. If you don't have access to them, we can access them for you. We are a wholesaler in CA handling both E&S and Admitted markets in most states.

If you need help placing it, give me a call at 775-722-3959.

Chris Garrison

RIC