One stop shop MGA

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
mattnewtonberger
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

One stop shop MGA

Post by mattnewtonberger »

My experience has been captive, so I'm confused about something. Is there not a MGA that will shop any and all risks? I've found some that say "We do that" and then there's stipulations. ie We do truckers and find out later (within a miles radius and fleets smaller than 40 trucks). I understand that companies have their own profit agendas, but surely someone out there has made themselves a "one stop shop"
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: One stop shop MGA

Post by JAM »

In my experience there are no MGA's that are jack of all trades. Most MGA are more or less slanted towards a certain industry. Pick a class code and try and built a book in that industry. In my opinion its better to partner up with a solid large brokerage firm and split commissions until you are ready to make the move. MGA don't want to take risks so they will decline your many of your submissions. many are also crooks and they will re marked the accounts they declined behind your back.
Last edited by JAM on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
mattnewtonberger

thanks
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

Wow, JAM, you have certainly not had good experiences with your MGA, and I am sorry about that. As a wholesale broker with 20 years in the E & S side of the business, I can tell you, there is no MGA or Wholesale shop that does everything. You just can't--well, you can look at everything, but you're not going to be good at everything. A good MGA will have a multitude of in-house contracts to bind with, and then a plethora of open-brokerage markets to approach for the larger, more complex risks.

Matt, if you would like to discuss a particular risk, please feel free to contact me directly --

Lisa A. Foley, ASLI
Broker
Bliss & Glennon
760 705 1360
foleyl@bgsurplus.com
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JAM »

Lisa,

I actually have a good relationship with Bliss. I think he was talking about MGA's that write standard business not surplus like Bliss.
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
pcock1

Post by pcock1 »

try calling Anderson & murison in LA 1 323 255 2333 i have used them for years and the are GREAT!!!

MR P
mattnewtonberger

btw, i'm in alabama :wink:
GrandeRH
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by GrandeRH »

Why not go directly to the insurer? In that way, you can ask anything that you would like to inquire and know the services they provide. Or a broker, they have many kinds of products to offer or what you call 'One stop shop'

Usually, MGA would say "we do that" just to sell (marketing)the products and not disclosing information that clients should know about.
mattnewtonberger

can you recommend any brokers? thanks
mightyquinn
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by mightyquinn »

We a CA based wholesale aggregator placing business for only CA based risks. Although we are small in number we are huge in relationships as we work with over 5 national & regional wholesalers as well as over 20 national & regional MGAs. To deal with an MGA or insurer you usually have to give them enough volume to make it worth their while. As we are an aggregator you work only with us like a retail agent/broker would work with a usual surplus lines broker. We then market your account to those of our access points who have interest in writing the class of risk and coverage that you are offering. Consequently, we literally can get you to any insurer without you having to go through volume requirement hell.

If you are a CA retailer and would like to work with us please email me at mighty_quinn@rocketmail.com

Post by mhutch69 »

In CA., I would suggest Arrowhead Wholesale.
mattnewtonberger

i'm on the other side of the universe in alabama. thanks
askanunderwriter
Insurance Journal Fan

I would recommend Bass Underwriters

Post by askanunderwriter »

In my experience (and imho, ). Bass is a good underwriting outfit with caring staff. I have worked with various members of their organizations and have socialized with their managers at various functions. I can't recommend any one particular person, but I think you should give them a try.