Is it possible to get insurer appointments just starting out

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
biggboy55
Insurance Journal Fan

Is it possible to get insurer appointments just starting out

Post by biggboy55 »

I want to start my own insurance agency, but i dont want to work as a captive agent any longer than 6 months to a year. Would I be able to get appointments working that long as an captive agent. I want to specialize in commercial insurance.
CRB
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Is it possible to get insurer appointments just starting

Post by CRB »

Where are you located?
dm307799

Post by dm307799 »

Just a heads up, you'll need E&O before a carrier will appoint you. I suggest getting hooked into your state PIA (Professional Insurance Agents Association). They will be instrumental in your success!
zakB78
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by zakB78 »

this is biggboy i am located in florida
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

This kind of post and topic question is generally exhausting...BiggBoy, you imply that you're new to the biz with a lot of ambition and giant plans to run your own shop specializing in commercial insurance. Ambition and hard work are great in the context of getting started under someone's wing to learn the biz, but in my humble opinion, it will take a lot longer than 6 months in training to get to a point where you're skilled enough to launch your own venture.

And advice for forming a new business is way beyond the limited resource that can be displayed here.

I'm aware that large business empires have very ocassionally been built on less than you're offering, so if you are ready to launch, you have my blessing. I wish you good luck, because BiggBoy, you're going to need it.
jackwehoca
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jackwehoca »

d's insurance store usually gives good advice-this time is no exception. I will be a bit more blunt...6 months to a year will only scratch the surface in commercial insurance-6 years is more realistic. However, if you have deep pockets and can afford to not land big accounts for a while then you might be ready in as little as two to three years. Otherwise you are an E&O claim waiting to happen! Most Aggregators, MGA's, Affinity Groups, etc. will be hesitant to bring you on board with so little experience. Maybe a few carriers on the personal lines side may take a flier with you, but don't count on any of the preferred markets to appoint you-if one does, be careful regarding premium commitment and control of your book should you not reach quota. Have seen it happen: quota not met, renewals sent out direct to your "client" by the carrier, account all gone, no more!
BTW: from what I have read and heard, even the seasoned pros in Florida are having a tough time. If I were you, I would latch on to a good independent and, if you do well, try to work up some equity stake with ownership-you immediately become part of a working model. Even if rebuffed, you probably can still make good living on commissions unti t he right opportunity pops up-they always do-timing is everything!
mangroveman

Post by mangroveman »

I'm located in FL as well and have gone through the torture of starting an independent agency from scratch. LOL. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Also, here is an article that is geared towards starting an independent agency:

http://www.epicagentmarketing.com/index ... Itemid=103

Thanks,
-Bob
For information on Agent/Agency Marketing and Sales vist http://www.epicagentmarketing.com.
Eagleeye

Post by Eagleeye »

BiggBoy, This is a very loaded question and will attempt to help. You indicated that you might want to start out for 6 months or so with a Captive Company. The problem with a lot of the captive companies is the contract you sign with them. You may have all kinds of restrictions placed on you, even if they are a company like Farmers Insurance that is a first right of refusal company. Be careful if your end plans are becoming an Independent. If you start out with a captive they will most likely impose a Non-compete in the neighborhood of one year. This could cripple your organization after you have gotten it started up and running. Like others that have answered you already you have E & O issues especially in the Commercial Insurance side. A Restaurant is not a Restaurant like a Contractor is not a Contractor. Meaning they are all different even if they appear to all be the same. jackwehoca gave you good advice that a lot of carriers will not even appoint you since you do not have much in the way of experience. If you can, try to get yourself lined up with an Insurance Consultant in your area. This will help you in securing a carrier if they see you are getting assistance. If you get to the point that you are ready to get things going PM Message me and I will give you some inside hints to working in the commercial industry. I have been in commercial insurance for 30 years. Good Luck and I hope things work out for you.
johnsharp

Post by johnsharp »

You can get all the appointments you want if you have good sales and connections in that niche. I was a Captive Agent for 2 years and grew my book from scratch to little over a 2 million dollar book and had no problems getting whatever appointment I wanted when I went Independent. I was not in a commercial niche but if you have the sales and connections you'll be fine getting appointments.

Independent Brokers want you to produce for them and that's the name of the game. Hope this helps. If you have any questions shoot me a message.
John Sharp
Mega Agency Marketing
http://agencyupdates.com
"59 Ways To Attract All The Insurance Clients You Need"