Non-profit with incidental international exposure

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Non-profit with incidental international exposure

Post by Rob »

I have a small CA non-profit that I placed with Philadelphia Ins Co for GL and D&O and CNA for workers compensation. They have just informed me that several times a year they will have staff members who will need to travel out of country and outside the coverage territory to provide training to groups withint those countries. I would like to get your opinion on two issues.

The first issue is the workers compensation. The policy has an exclusion which excludes bodily injury occurring outside the United States, Canada, and its territories with an exception for bodily injury to a citizen or resident of the U.S. who is temporarily outside of the U.S. It does not define "temporarily" but these trips are only a couple of weeks at a time so seems like that will fit the definition. Ok, great I think. But let me do some research anyway. Most of what I've read says that If you have workers who travel overseas, coverage gaps and ambiguous definition in your standard workers’ comp policy could result coverage disputes and that the safe bet is to request the carrier put a Voluntary Foreign workers endorsement onto the policy. CNA states that they cannot provide that endorsement or coverage. When I contacted State Fund, they said they would not be able to provide that endorsement but that if the employees travel overseas and were hired in CA, there would be coverage. My interpretation of the CNA policy is that there would be coverage as well, but when I have an email from underwriting stating "While CNA does not have a problems with the insured making a trip overseas once a year, we cannot offer any coverage for it."

The second issue is the General Liability. Philadelphia cannot offer any coverage for any incidental international exposure. Being a small account, I anticipate that if Philly can't do it, some of the other insurers who cater to non-profits may not be able to do it. Is there a supplemental policy that can bridge the gap? Otherwise I may be looking at obtaining a quote from a carrier that may end up being cost prohibitive for the insured.

Thanks and look forward to hearing opinions.
wariline
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Non-profit with incidental international exposure

Post by wariline »

Have you tried Travelers, Chubb, or AIG? Those carriers should have an international coverage endorsement readily avaialble.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

wariline wrote:Have you tried Travelers, Chubb, or AIG? Those carriers should have an international coverage endorsement readily avaialble.
There is work at home exposure so Travelers declined. I don't have access to Chubb. If by AIG you mean Chartis, they are a no go as well. State Fund says they don't have an endorsement like that but they will cover the employees when in other countries but not repatriation.
rcb
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by rcb »

Rob
Chartis has a World Risk Foreign package that allows you to pick and choose the coverages you need at very reasonable prices. Haven't placed one for a non-profit, but it has filled the need for for profit companies with work profiles close to what you have described. Give me a call or drop me an e-mail and I can give more detail
cbernau@bjwins.com
phlybob
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by phlybob »

Philadelphia Insurance can place the international coverage through their in-house wholesaler, Valley Forge. Contact your local PHLY marketing rep or underwriter for more information.
INTLXS
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by INTLXS »

Have you tried ACE? If you need to go to them, e-mail me at kennethkukral@intlxs.com

Ken Kukral, CIC
www.intlxs.com