Insurance directories??

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Insurance directories??

Post by paulbennings »

Hi all,

We are looking at various options for online marketing. We are thinking about getting included in some paid directories but it's hard to figure out which ones, if any, give you any ROI. Some are rather expensive. Any experiences with any good directories that anyone can share? We checked out Yellow Pages and although they offer free listings, you have to pay (probably quite a bit with those guys) to stick out at all.

Thanks in advance.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Insurance directories??

Post by d's insurance store »

So, you get solicited by the on line directory vendor...why not list where consumers are gathering online to get quotes...you'll find your phone ringing off the hook and email box full of ready, willing and able prospects just holding their collective breath and anxious to get your fast quote...right?

Prospects have been slow to contact you in this new age of insurance sales...the phone doesn't ring like it once did...your web site doesn't seem to get the converting hits...you've tried Facebook, Twitter and Blogs, but only your brother in law has 'liked' you and there are only so many ways to tell your story and pass along 'valued' content about putting new batteries in smoke detectors and clearing the rain gutters in preparation for the rainy season. So, this pitch seems to have merit, right?

Sucker!

Truth be told, those on line insurance selling directories put money only in the pockets of the vendor and not you. The types of inquiries you'll be getting first, will be few and far between, and secondly, will often come from whack-o's, homeless and mentally deranged price shoppers using free computers in public libraries.

In today's world, it's extreamly difficult to stand out in a general lines way on the internet. Accept that. Your only hope for visability is to specialize and adapt your on line presence to reflect a narrow niche and become the expert in that field...and personal lines general auto/home/life business isn't it.

I wish you the best of luck...and hope you hang onto your promotion dollars for something that stands a better chance of success.
Robert742
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Robert742 »

I agree you're not likely to get decent business from online directories, but getting your name, phone number, and address in directories can help your website, assuming you have one, rank better with local search. A free listing with yellow pages, and other free or very low-cost directories is worth doing. Make sure you have a Google places listing.

I had a Google places listing for my website, which I decided to recently delete, because it gave the impression I'm selling auto & home insurance, which I no longer sell. My site was on page 1 of Google for the term auto insurance and my zip code. I have received two calls in the last year -- both people had driver's permits looking for car insurance so they could get licensed. So, yeah, you'll get the typical calls you would get in the pre-Internet days from the phone book.

Still, you can't discount the importance of having an Internet presence these days.
Complaint & customer satisfaction ratings for all the leading home & auto insurance companies in the USA
http://www.smartshopyourcarinsurance.com
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by paulbennings »

Thanks all for the informative replies. We will keep looking for something that has good ROI. d's insurance: when you recommend specialization, are you talking about niches like business classes (i.e. "we specialize in tech or medical")?
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

paulbennings wrote:Thanks all for the informative replies. We will keep looking for something that has good ROI. d's insurance: when you recommend specialization, are you talking about niches like business classes (i.e. "we specialize in tech or medical")?
I'm of the belief currently that it's pretty insane to try and start a general lines/personal lines agency from scratch and that independent success can only come in this market place with specialization into a few markets...acquiring companies to represent in tight niches and learning all there is to know about that particular segment so that all marketing can present as a real expert in the risk management of the chosen field.

The days of the friendly, community minded, service club member 'trusted insurance advisor' who handled a family's insurance needs and relied on neighborhood visability and referrals to build a business are long dead in my opinion. Current legacy agencies that built that model are probably safe for a few years, but starting that from a zero client point is the height of lunacy.
towerst
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by towerst »

Watch out for paid directories - you'll get penalized by google.
Pathwayinsurance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Pathwayinsurance »

towerst wrote:Watch out for paid directories - you'll get penalized by google.
Not all paid directories will get you penalized, for instance Google likes the BBB. Technically not a directory, but like a directory If you are an accredited business. (Must pay a fee)

Also they like the Yahoo directory (paid)
Jack Thomas - Agency Principal
513-662-7000
www.pathwayinsurance.net
robmejia
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by robmejia »

People who are looking for insurance companies don't rely heavily on directories anymore. But if it is in a resource page of a renowned and trusted insurance website or blog, then they may deem your listing to be of value. Try to have link exchanges with insurance websites or blogs like http://www.infolongtermcare.org for long term care insurance companies. There's more chance people will click on your link and visit your site.
BestCarCoverage
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by BestCarCoverage »

I agree the BBB is a great directory to use and it will provide a boast to the rankings Google applies to your site. The more trusted the directory, the better the results should be.
[url=http://bestcarcoverage.com/]BestCarCoverage[/url]
Pathwayinsurance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Pathwayinsurance »

robmejia wrote:People who are looking for insurance companies don't rely heavily on directories anymore. But if it is in a resource page of a renowned and trusted insurance website or blog, then they may deem your listing to be of value. Try to have link exchanges with insurance websites or blogs like http://www.infolongtermcare.org for long term care insurance companies. There's more chance people will click on your link and visit your site.
That's true, relevancy is the name of the game in modern SEO strategy.
Jack Thomas - Agency Principal
513-662-7000
www.pathwayinsurance.net