Course of Construction for non licensed contractor

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Course of Construction for non licensed contractor

Post by meytai »

My customer is building his own home. he doesn't have a license to build.. who can insure that? Home is %15 built
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Course of Construction for non licensed contractor

Post by d's insurance store »

There are non admitted markets for course of construction where the project is already underway, however, the lack of a licensed contractor supervising the project may be an issue.

If this is an existing client to whom you wish to continue a relationship, then it might be worth the effort involved. If this just landed on your doorstep because his 'regular' agent couldn't help, then the attributes of someone who would start first and worry about insurance later, would lead me to pass and let it become someone else's problem. The big question I would ask and want an answer to is 'why are you just now thinking about insuring the dwelling during course of construction? Why didn't you call before digging the first trench?'
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by meytai »

He's a customer of mine.. we have a good relationship.. I've been trying for a while to find him someone to insure it.. it's at 15 percent now.. I need to know what carrier will take him
californiadude
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by californiadude »

What state are you in?
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by meytai »

California
californiadude
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by californiadude »

This might be out of left field... But it could work.

What if the owner/builder hires a GC to come in and supervise the builder/project, with a much smaller fee? The GC would be doing minimal work... Maybe he charges 1% of building costs instead of 12-20%.

Basically you're hiring someone to come in and look over your shoulder, and it makes it legit in the eyes of the insurance carrier... Try Zurich, Hartford, or look online. I don't have any good advice other than that, and I'm not sure that was good advice anyways.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

You can easily find GL for an owner/builder with Markel/Essex. Understand we are only interested if he is building his own home.

Meytai, email me at lisa@yates-assoc.com and we can discuss.

Lisa
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."