Legality of certificate of liability insurance.

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
MFP
Insurance Journal Fan

Legality of certificate of liability insurance.

Post by MFP »

Few years back one of my employee may have issued certificate of liability insurance on a cancelled workers com policy. Few months later insured had a claim which was obviously denied by the insurance company. Now the insured is using those certificates aginst me even though he was informed via fax ( I have the confirmation on file) that his insurance was cancelled.

Can somebody please tell me what is the legal value of those certificates.? :cry:
MFP
miinsguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Legality of Workers Compensation Certificates

Post by miinsguy »

Perhaps you thought you were in the Lawyers Forum?

As a professional insurance agent, I do not believe I have a license to practice law!
mccluney
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by mccluney »

You have no choice at this point. Notify your E & O carrier at once. And Let them advise you. The way E & O apps are worded requires you to notify them of any incident that might result in a claim.
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

mccluney is right. Notify your E & O carrier immediately.

By the way, what was the reason(s) for cancellation? Hope you didn't cross out any wording or made modifications on the certificate.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

I agree that you need to get your E&O carrier on board right away. You need to get every scrap of paper & electronic media available for them. I would also suggest you put into place a policy for verifying coverage prior to issuing certs so at least when your carrier asks what you've done to make sure this never happens again you have an answer.