California - Racing insurance for Private Autos

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
cbevington
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

California - Racing insurance for Private Autos

Post by cbevington »

I have a client who thinks he is Mario Andretti on the weekends. He wants to race his private auto on a race track and is looking for a one day track driving policy.

So far, the best I can find is $275 premium for collision damage to the car only. No Liability. And the deductible is 10% of the value of the car! Not ideal.

Does anyone have a market in California for one day high performance driving on a private track? Ideally it would include some liability coverage.

Thank you!
socalmark
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: California - Racing insurance for Private Autos

Post by socalmark »

cbevington wrote:I have a client who thinks he is Mario Andretti on the weekends. He wants to race his private auto on a race track and is looking for a one day track driving policy.

So far, the best I can find is $275 premium for collision damage to the car only. No Liability. And the deductible is 10% of the value of the car! Not ideal.

Does anyone have a market in California for one day high performance driving on a private track? Ideally it would include some liability coverage.

Thank you!
This is where I get mine:
http://locktonmotorsports.com/partner/p ... e=cha02970
It isn't cheap, doesn't cover liability, typically 10% ded. You have to pay to play.
cbevington

Post by cbevington »

Thank you!

Amazing no one offers liability to the drivers. Potential market opportunity....
Companyman

Post by Companyman »

This is going to continue to be a specialty market and with a high rate/deductible. There just isn't enough market to drive this to a better price. I have a close friend who does timing for BMW and Porsche clubs throughout the country. He will argue that it isn't "racing" but "driver education". It is on a closed course, not door to door driving, and oftentimes will not require any special modifications to the vehicle. This came up during a conversation about a BMW that went into a corner and had about 1000 miles on it. I questioned where coverage was and he responded "with his personal auto carrier, like mine". I guess I would be happy that you have a customer that is conscience enough to realize that they need specialty coverage.
socalmark
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by socalmark »

I was just notified RLI is offering HPDE event coverage now also.
https://www.rlicorp.com/track-day
It's the same coverage as the others, collision only. No one I know of will write liability for these events. Would you put your own money up for liability on track day? I don't think any insurance company would either. However, the sponsors of the event do have liability. But all drivers must sign waivers.