getting started

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

frustrated
Insurance Journal Fan

getting started

Post by frustrated »

I'm an independent agent with about 4 years experience that opened last summer in a county of around 30K. I live in the county west (around 40K) and go the church in the county east (around 30k).

My wife has a tax preparation/bookkeeping business located in the same office that had a disappointing first year. Besides yellow pages I do the marketing for her business.

We are having a hard time getting started. The personal lines companies do well with the top 1/2 - good credit/little claims - of the market, but I'm not getting any calls. Commercial is the same. I do better with companies in the top 1/2 - years in business, newer bldg, and no claims. I have non-standard auto as well.

Some of the responses for commercial - and some personal - prospects is that my previous employer - an out of town agency - was not competitive. Some are not giving me a second chance. For personal lines, I've tried doorhangers, direct mail and internet leads. All with little success. Organizations include 2 chambers and another networking group that goes .

Any ideas?
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: getting started

Post by pita3333 »

I think that most people reading your post will want/need more information on how you are getting your name out there to prospects.

Also, seems to have been only one year...a search for previous similar topics in IJ forums will reveal that most persons who have traveled your path previously have not seen much better results in similar amout of time.
Michael Trouillon
Greater Los Angeles area

Consultant/Trainer agency automation system

Industry since 82

Past: Compliance Mgr master pol pgm, Ops Mgr, Marketing Mgr, Account Mgr
ckerrigan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ckerrigan »

How long have you been in business? Usually, it takes a couple years atleast. The yellow pages are probably not the best idea these days, since most people use the internet. Try to work the clients you have helped for referrals. Spreading your name by mouth is probably the best marketing you could do. Trust and service are very important. Where are you located? You definitely want to get your name out in other communities outside of your 30k peeps. Good Luck.....
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

It's been said before, but you have to put yourself in the position of a prospective client...what motivates that person to pick up the phone and call for a quote?

In personal lines, it's more often than not a rate that's higher than the last term rate. In commercial, it can be price, service or just plain curiosity.

It's rather late in the game to analyze your potential market, but if the county communities are already saturated with insurance vendors, then you also have to look at the competition and make an honest assessment as to whether or not that population base really needs another insurance agency. If after deep thought, that answer is YES, then you'll have to figure out your own Unique Selling Proposition....what differenciates you from anyone else selling the same products.

If your answer is just price or service or experience, you may find the future a bit upsetting, because in a stable marketplace for insurance products and existing relationships (small town/county Mayberry syndrome), you have to have a very strong reason to break into the psyche of a potential client and get them to doubt their current situation and seek competitive bids elsewhere. In other words, what do you bring to the marketplace that's different. Is the crux of your advertising 'Safe, Strong, Secure' or 'Free Quotes' or 'Low Rates'? If so, then in this new world of insurance selling, you look like everyone else and the pitch will get you a big yawn.

It just could be you're fighting a losing battle for the mainstream stuff. It's been discussed on many postings here that commercial segments where you become the true expert in something like auto repair shops, or restaurants, or metal fabrication shops or apartments or dry cleaners, or...? you name it gives you a much wider and more credible standing where you become a large fish in a small pond, and you can present as the real deal who understands that business and has a program to present that can be unbeatable in that market.

It's very hard right now to succeed as a general practicioner as a new agency in any market, let alone a smaller county population. This may not be what you want to hear, but these kinds of market analysis issues should have been addressed before you signed a lease and opened your doors. If after one year, you're not seeing any growth or the ability to call receptive people back at their X date and land a sale, then you may want to look at a plan B that could involve moving to a more opoulated area or trying to narrow down your focus.

I wish you the best of luck.
Shagster12
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Shagster12 »

I agree with the last post that specialization is a great way to set yourself apart from the crowd, have expertise that is [u]sought after.
That said, marketing is really about differentiation. If there's competition in your area that you can't break through, you need to set yourself apart from that competition and become the agent that is sought after. One way to do that on the commercial side might be to offer something the 'other guy' doesn't. Advertise free risk management seminars in your neighborhood once a month, invite guests from your local chambers and try to grow a 'club' meeting where local business owners can go to discuss issues and get advice on how to identify and solve risk and coverage issues. Be a part of the solution and you will become the 'Holy Grail' with everyone looking to you for advice, support and eventually you'll earn their business.
The bottom line is you've got to give your prospects a reason to come to you instead of staying where they are!
Good luck!
JustinReed
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by JustinReed »

Hi Frustrated, I think every agent has been there at one time or another. I doubt there is a single answer out there for everyone, but I might be able to help. My company specializes in helping agents like you get in front of interested prospects. We do this for both Commercial Lines and for Groupe Health. When it comes to the sale the ball is in your court, but we can definately get you more opportunites to close new business.

If you have a few minutes give me a call. We have programs for all types and sizes of agencies and we have programs that can fit just about any budget.
Justin Reed
justin@gmrplace.com
Guaranteed Marketing Resource
1439 W. Chapman Ave. Ste#77 | Orange, CA 92868
Tel: 714 .735.8502 | Fax: 714.735.8957
txinsurancemanager
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by txinsurancemanager »

I have been in your shoes. Here are some thoughts that did generate quoting opportunities for me.

Some social networking sites. Use the forums and add your signature line. One good one is Ryze.com. Linkedin.com is also good. It is possible to find linkedin sites that are directed at your area.

Another thing that helped was lots of networking. Meetup.com is a great site to find organizations especially targeted for business networking. These are in person meetings. I got lots of referrals and opportunities from those meetings. You can volunteer to be a speaker at these some of these meetups; they are always looking for speakers. Most give you an opportunity to do a "30 second commercial" on your business. You have to pick the right meetups because some will already have 3 or more insurance agents in them.

And of course, I just went door to door to small businesses, giving my brochure and introducing myself. I got most opportunities right on the spot. And I did a lot of cold calling, getting ex dates and occasionally an immediate need for coverage.