Automatic Water Shut Off

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Automatic Water Shut Off

Post by scott »

Anyone have any personal experience with automatic water shut off systems?

Some units sense unusual water flow and shut off the valve. Others have sensors that detect water (near a washing machine for example) and send a signal to shut off the valve.

I am considering installing such a unit in my home but would like to hear comments about which manufacturer is best.

Thanks.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
kevinraz
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Automatic Water Shut Off

Post by kevinraz »

Most new water supply lines for dishwashers have a built in non-electronic sensor that shuts it off if it senses that something is wrong with the appliance. Have one of these in my house. It has not kicked in yet so can't be 100% sure it works.

Not familiar with anything for whole house but it sure makes sense.
Kevin Rasmussen AU, CIC
jimmyr1978
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jimmyr1978 »

Recommend this one, manufactured by DynaQuip, a plumbing wholesaler/manufacturer.

www.watercop.com

A few carriers will provide discounts (5-8%) for installing - Fireman's Fund, Chubb, and a couple others. Costs is $300-$700, depending on the size of the system you need. I have seen live demos, and we have included this in loss control recommendations to clients with multiple water loss claims.

P.S. I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever. They were able to solve some problems we were having with high-rise buildings with many water loss claims, and we were able to convince an admitted carrier to stay on one of them due to the installation. Investment of about $10k helped save $10k in premium, and stayed in the standard market.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Thanks Jimmy. That is one of the units I'm looking at.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant