Auto Classification

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

tanya01
Insurance Journal Fan

Auto Classification

Post by tanya01 »

Question for all of you... I have a new business prospect that is in the Portable Sanitation industry... He rents port-a-john's, both single unit and what he calls "luxury liners." The luxury liners have two or more restrooms and sinks in them. They are towed behind a pick-up truck by one of the insured employees to whomever has rented them. These luxury liners are on the auto ACORD and they are rated as Special Mobile Equipment with their current carrier. Some in my office think that we should rate these as trailers and not Special Mobile Equipment. What are your opinions???
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Auto Classification

Post by pita3333 »

A quick thought...if the item (luxury liners) are perm attached to a trailer versus merely transported upon a trailer...me thinks of this as mobile equipment. Much the same as I would a portable generator/welder/pump etc that occupies the trailer (not talking about a small unit bolted to a trailer).

I presume that the real issue here is pricing vrs coverage. I say this since once the unit is on location the auto policy would not typically apply to injury or damage caused, or to loss or damage to the unit itself. The GL policy would then pick this up. Look at the policy forms and read how the policies would apply once the unit is on site (both from GL and Prop point of view).
Michael Trouillon
Greater Los Angeles area

Consultant/Trainer agency automation system

Industry since 82

Past: Compliance Mgr master pol pgm, Ops Mgr, Marketing Mgr, Account Mgr