Insurance can be FUN :)

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

If the account came up on a heavy quarter month, keep that in consideration. Carriers are innudated with submissions, and if it's for a quarter renewal, then its a lot worse.

There were times (December and June) where I was receiving 15-20 new biz submissions PER DAY for a January or July renewal. Add on to that renewals. When a submission comes in that doen't have enough underwriting information, then we had to kick it back to the agent for add'l info. Just something to think about - besides your submissions, your underwriter is handling submissions from ten to fifteen (or more) agencies.

If I were to have received an e-mail like that, I would have been looking for (at least) a written apology...and I'd be thinking twice about how much work I put into the next piece of business from you.
captivenomore
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Ya gotta wonder!

Post by captivenomore »

I had a client call earlier this week for an auto quote. He had just purchased a car with a loan & needed full coverage. I gave him the quote, breaking down the coverages as I always do. He asked why he needed to pay extra for liability coverage if he had full coverage. I explained several times the difference btwn liab & comp/coll & he finally said get it ready, he would be in later that day. When he came in, we went through the whole thing AGAIN. He wanted to know why it was so much more than the last time he had full coverage...on a 1987 truck, 5 years ago!! Then when I gave him the downpayment amount, he asked if I really need the whole amount today. Couldn't he just make a downpayment on the downpayment?!?!?!?!? The entire week has been like this!! :!:
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: someone called and asked if we insure Donkeys

Post by 92builder »

miinsguy wrote:Hey Uninformed!

How long have you been in the insurance business?

Its called Animal Mortality and many large and small insurance companies provide it for even Donkeys!

Sometimes I am very unimpressed with the stuff I see on this forum.
You know, I think this thread was started to show the lighter side of sales. I'm sure we all see the mistakes we made then, but let's not hack on each other now. Let's just let bygones be the water under the bridge, cross our i's, and dot our t's... :wink:

By the way, if you've ever had a disabled person "relieve" themselves during your sales call, it calls for a whole new realm of understanding.
jaybird
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by jaybird »

I once had a fellow that wanted his car insurance to pay for the birth of his granddaughter.His daughter had gotten herself pregnant in the backseat.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

I'm glad that everyone has something fun to share. We have to remember to keep our sense of humor and not take this business or ourselves too seriously. Remember it's not friday until you get that call at 4:55 from the general contractor who needs a policy in place for the job he starts the next day! Or the handyman who needs the cert so he can move a house!
Everett
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Insurance can be FUN :)

Post by Everett »

I am new in Insurance field and just registered on IJ forum.
I am HAPPY to be a part of this forum :)
Hope someday I will post my funny incidents here.
captive no more
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by captive no more »

I had a small one-man-show contractor who had done work for a local businessman. He was happy with the work & hired the contractor to re-side his daughters house and replace an old window while she was away. The work was progressing quickly & he got all the old siding off in one day. He then called Dad to ask when he could meet him so he could get inside to work on the window. Dad replied "I've been here all day, waiting for you to show up". Turns out the contractor was at the wrong house, down the street! When my insured came in & told me he needed to file a claim for ripping all the siding off the wrong house, I couldn't stop laughing no matter how hard I tried. I felt so bad for him but everytime I thought of that homeowner coming home to find all their siding missing, I would crack up again!!
jackolive
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jackolive »

Funny story, i had something similar a year ago with my Boss just over the phone, which is even worse. I thought he had hung up on me when actually he didn't. Did you get a reply from your client about that unfortunate email ?
bjwestner
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bjwestner »

Years ago when I first started handling auto claims, I received a claim that was reported as insured vehicle struck telephone pole. Not that big a deal I thought. I tried calling the insured who was a younger person, about 19 or 20 or so. I was told that he was in the hospital for surgery due to the accident. I then realized that it must have been a really hard impact. I went out to see the car and it hit a pole, but the damages were not enough to make you think that someone would be critically injured in the loss....Come to find out, what happened was this: the insured was driving while his girlfriend at the time was seated in the front passenger seat of the vehicle. As they were driving down a country type road, she was "doing something" to him. As a result of these actions, he ended up losing control of the vehicle and striking the telephone pole. As a result of this impact, she "bit down" causing damage to the insured resulting in him having to have surgery. No, it was not fully severed for those wondering, just partially severed.

Fortunately, this loss occured in Maryland where the insured only had $2.5k of pip. I could only imagine if that happened in NJ or NY where pip limits are high.
Island Girl Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Island Girl Agent »

I had a prospect call me a few years back, was starting up a business and needed insurance. I began by asking him the usual questions, and when I asked him for his best guesstimate for annual gross revenues, his comment was something like "that's private information, I'm not giving that to anyone, isn't that covered by the privacy act?" I calmly tried to explain to him that, no, it actually wasn't, and that the insurance carrier needed that in order to come up with pricing and that revenues were often used as a way to determine the amount of risk they were assuming. He said he would go somewhere else where they didn't ask such personal questions. I wished him the best of luck, hung up, and thanked my lucky stars that he was moving on to someone else!posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=1014#
LisaL
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by LisaL »

In my other life as a commercial underwriter with a standard market carrier I as contacted to write coverage for a metal art work piece. Further investigation developed the "artwork piece" was a stand for a full size fighter jet so it could be displayed on top of a building. Our definition of artwork differed.