What to expect from a new producer

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Reecey617
Insurance Journal Fan

What to expect from a new producer

Post by Reecey617 »

I have a small P&C agency and have been successful running it myself with just an office manager as support for over 6 years. We have done quite well so I decided to add a producer 7 months ago. She has an amazing attitude and eager to learn but at month 7 she is still struggling to manage the simplest of tasks. I pick up things easily so I tend to measure others by that standard but I wonder what I should expect of her by this point. I can’t hand hold her constantly because is slows down my production. She can’t do a simple auto, home, or dwelling policy without support. She often turns to my office manager for support also and the office manager has only been there 1 more month than her. Does anyone have any advise? I find myself frustrated constantly but don’t want to give up too early on her.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: What to expect from a new producer

Post by d's insurance store »

You might reach out to your carriers...many personal lines carriers offer book, on line or classroom training that is specific to the products offered by each carrier, but perhaps in total, might be enough to impart knowledge to jump start the producer's productivity.

A great attitude and reliability is worth a lot in today's insurance labor market, but ultimately, if you can't achieve some level of independent work productivity, then ultimately a change will be mandated.
Reecey617
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Reecey617 »

Thank you for your reply. You invest so much in someone you bring aboard and it is hard to walk away from that without exhausting every opportunity giving them the chance to succeed. I have spend a great deal of time in training and showing her every resource available. Maybe my expectations are too high but it is a huge expense to me and so far our office production remains the same because I am the one doing everything. I think I have a month left in me before I throw in the towel. Until then...wish me luck!
Swymmer
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Swymmer »

Sorry this is a bit later than normal... I've been away from the forum a while.

When I started in this business it was with Met Life. They sent me to a two week intensive training program, followed by encouraging me to enroll in formal LUTC (industry) courses. Formal training made all the difference! So, take advantage of the training your carriers offer. Sign the employee up for the CIC or similar course work. My small agency has five licensed agents, three of which you'd call "producers". All three have CIC and all three got significant raises upon completion of the designation. And, most importantly, all three are excellent, profitable members of the team. Invest in your people, it's the best investment you can make! Just my two cents!
FFA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by FFA »

At some point, you just have to cut your losses. Move on. My best success with producers is college marketing / business students. They want to learn. They have bills to pay. When they graduate, they move on or they move up in your organization.