added services

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

added services

Post by 92builder »

I was wondering if anyone here offers any services that are "out of the ordinary"? I know we slammed one guy pretty hard for appraisals and two home-visits a year, but I ran across a girl today (not my customer yet), that had gotten popped for no proof of insurance and will have to drive a little bit on Monday to go to this other county, show her proof which she does now have, and get her case dismissed, therefore wasting about three hours of her time. When I got done with her, we made two phone calls, one faxed message, and now the whole thing is over. Pretty easy sell, huh?

What got me to thinking, is as I stood there helping her dig through her glovebox, she came up with this pile of papers and bills that she was just going to throw away. I told her she needed to shred those, what with these days of ID theft going around.

SO, final question - is anyone offering free shredding to your customers? What kind of strange extras are you doing. I mean, I know if someone walked in with some papers, we'd all run 'em through the machine for them, but could you advertise that? Gimme some ideas, boys and girls...
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

92builder, thank you for reminding me why I don't sell phonebook auto insurance. Be careful she'll have you doing her laundry too. Did you make any money helping her. I guarantee you, she's gone when a $25 dollar lower premium comes in 6 months from now ( other guy). You seem to be a very nice guy and i want you to know I did the same for years. I even got a couple hot dates. 8)
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

sanddog1 wrote: I even got a couple hot dates. 8)
Isn't it why we are in business :)
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

Well, let me change my description of her; PAMELA ANDERSON was needing some help with her auto insurance...

Seriously, this girl has been a friend of mine for a while, and I just saw her getting the shaft on service from her current agent once again. I guess what I'm looking for would be extra things we would do for our CUSTOMERS. I'm not wanting to be a doormat for the whole town, but what can we do extra that gives ppl that warm, fuzzy feeling inside? And sanddog, it's not always about the cash, but thanks for the compliment...
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

I think it was nice of you to go the extra mile (so to speak) for your client. However with P/L accounts you need to be careful because they'll leave for $1.00 lower regardless of the service. Only if we have renewed a p/l account 4 times will we do any extras. We do however, have our contractors provide us copies of any contract prior to them signing to review the insurance requirements. We sell this as a service to them. That and same day certs are retaining our commercial clients.
I'd be very wary of offering to shred paperwork for clients. That just opens a whole new area of exposure. Case in point - we had a client that was doing off site shredding for individuals & business'. Because it was off site - not even the big boys (Lexington, LLoyds, etc) would touch it.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Over the top service

Post by d's insurance store »

I fall into the camp that believes in today's market, an agent needs to be competent, caring and available and do a professional job, but that's where it ends.

I will certainly help with faxing of documents to motor vehicle authorities and lenders, but always with the preface that I'm not responsible for the failures of others on the receiving end. I will help clean up piles of old insurance documents, advising someone what and what not to keep, but I don't volunteer to shread them.

Back in the pre internet days, I used to subscribe to the Kelly Blue Book wholesale new car cost guide. I gladly spent hours looking up dealer prices for my own clients, who then passed my name along to their friends and buddys for the same service. At first, I did it with the hope I could develope a client relationship...but I fast came to the realization that if I was willing to be a doormat, people would gladly take advantage of my good deeds. After hundreds of price look up's, I couldn't count a single new client.

As a P&C agent, I religously sent birthday cards for years, all hand addressed and signed. My conclusion? Didn't move my retention numbers one bit!

At one time in my career, I gave out my home telephone number and took the late night calls. That was more grief. People expected that if I answered the phone, I could give specific policy help, rather than just pass along a claims phone number, so even though I was doing my best to be accomodating, I mostly got negative feedback that I wouldn't send the tow truck and arrange for overnight lodging and alternate transportation.

Now, I do my job to the best of my ability. I promptly return phone calls and do the best I can, but I've taken the service attitude that 'if they don't care, then why should I?' My retention is in the 90's, my client base continues to grow and will call those who go to late pay cancel only if it's out of character with the way they've paid in the past. My phone rings at home only from those who know my unlisted number and telephone solicitors. I'm much happier, and my clients appear from all appearances to also like my service attributes. I'm professional, but in no way will I practice over the top type service because my experience is that it's not expected and wasted on people who don't really appreciate it.

Of course, your milage may vary.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

I guess it's sad but true :)
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

Wow. I guess the glass is half-full, huh?

Thank you all for the input and for bringing me back down to earth. Those are all great points and that is exactly what I was looking for; you guys/girls made me see the other side of my idea.

Thanks
Trevor
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

Hey D, you can't pick and choose who you call for late pay cancels thanks to your E&O. If you do it for one, you're gonna have to do it for all.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

I'll call 'ya

Post by d's insurance store »

Hey 92Bldr, Also, back in my 'old days' (gawd, I feel like a dinosaur), I'd call AND send my own cancel notices to my psl lines insd's for late pays. Oh my, my postage bill! I soon learned that pretty much, I was sending mail to the same people, month after month. Then, I was advised, like you're suggesting, that I stop the practice, because when you call or mail folks, and then they paid up, when you finally reach the point of total frustration and say to yourself, screw 'em, I'm not calling anymore, and the policy craps out for non pay, THEY can assert they were trained to pay on your initiative, and when you stopped, it was the agent at fault for failure to notify as in the past....stick that in your E&O.

Now, when I sign up an insured, and they go into non pay cancel in the first couple of pay periods, I will call once, and give the reminder, AND let them know I cannot and will not continue to call. I document that conversation for future protection.

When one of my long term clients who's paid religiously on time goes into non pay cancel status, I will call as a courtesy, and generally I don't have to call again. If however, their financial status has deteriorated, and they go to continuous non pay cancel, I will revert to my first position, telling them I cannot and will not continue to call...I document the conversation and on I go.

Part of my definition of being a professional is extending the courtesy to those whose behaviors look abnormal based on their history. But another part of my definition is to not enable those who cost me dollars by not paying their bills. My attitude is when they make a payment, they've hired me to do a job. When they pay late, they're in effect giving me notice that my job is being threatened, and when their policy cancels, they've fired me. I don't work well under duress, and I certainly don't do volunteer work for those who choose not to keep me employed.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Like all of you, my clients pay me for access and advice. When they call, they want to talk. When they email, they want a reply.

Several years ago I started making clients a 90/24 promise. I return all phone messages in 90 minutes and all emails within 24 hours. It started out as a service standard. It's become a marketing tool "" clients love it. I put it in my proposals and mention it in my discussions with prospects. It makes me different and addresses a pet peeve of many people. What is more frustrating than not being able to talk to your advisor?

Many of you return phone calls quickly. Most make yourself easily accessible to your clients. Why not make it a part of your marketing by putting what you do into an advertised promise. Take credit for your great service.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

Now THAT is what I was looking for; a great idea of added service that we can all use.

THANK YOU for your reponse, scott.