Prior Work Exclusions

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

jaybird
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Prior Work Exclusions

Post by jaybird »

We have an excavator who is w/ a company that attaches a prior work exclusion to each renewal.It Excludes "work perforemd prior to the effective date of this policy". Does this mean that they are excluding work from their prior term or are they excluding work done before the insured started a policy w/ them ? -if they are exlcuding work on their prior term then where is products/completed ops coverage?I'm confused, any advice is appreciated.

Oh yeah, quotes are coming in w/ this stupid prior work exclusion as well. We are in AZ. Anyone know of any companies that will write residential excavators without this exclusion? (they dont do any tract or condo or townhome stuff)
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

Your comment seem Redundant, could be wrong. I would say yes. The exclusion is following a claims made form, with and experiance date, that just sick. If this is a new carrier of course they don't want to be on the hook for a prior claim. If this policy is based on each renewal with same carrier that's horrible. Please get that guy out of there, they suck. :twisted: I believe Financial Pacific Ins writes in AZ. That market as seem to open up I will look around.
YOu said We have an excavator who is w/ a company that attaches a prior work exclusion to each renewal. It Excludes "work performed prior to the effective date of this policy". Does this mean that they are excluding work from their prior term or are they excluding work done before the insured started a policy w/ them ?
Its better to ask forgiveness then permission
(just do it)
jaybird
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by jaybird »

Thanks. Didn't mean to sound redundant. Should have slowed down & read what I wrote before I posted. In speaking w/ the underwriter on this policy the intent is to exclude any prior work from before the insured started w/ this company. What thew me off is that the exclusion form is still attached to the current policy. I am trying to have it removed from the current & renewal term.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

Try Colonial General. I think they may write it with Scottsdale Indem. I don't know if they write excavators in this program. May depend on where insured is working.

Good luck :D