My first CIC Class

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

My first CIC Class

Post by InsAgentSF »

Subj Commercial Property. Highly recommend.
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

CIC's

Post by volstrike3 »

I just finished my last CIC institute and received the designation.

Commercial property and Commercial Casualty were very good. I learned a lot in the Life & Health Institute, it was very informative even though I do not sell L&H Insurance. Agency Management and Personal Lines were kind of a waste of time in my opinion but overall I feel the CIC program is great.
Dilbert
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

CIC & CPCU

Post by Dilbert »

I have both designations, but I think I learned more useable info in the CIC. I did learn a lot in the personal lines course because my busines focus is commercial exclusively. The personal lines course was good for my OWN protection. I had a list of about 10 items I needed to address with my agent when I got back!
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CIC's

Post by gregcw »

volstrike3 wrote:I just finished my last CIC institute and received the designation.

Agency Management and Personal Lines were kind of a waste of time in my opinion but overall I feel the CIC program is great.
volstrike3,

I'm guessing from your response to, or opinion of the Agency Management Institute that you are not an Agency Principal and that you are possibly not involved with personal lines.

However, as a Producer it is important to be aware of management issues and practices. Athougth it is an important area, I just wouldnt' suggest that you use them for your updates.

Greg
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CIC's

Post by volstrike3 »

[quote="gregcw"][quote="volstrike3"]I just finished my last CIC institute and received the designation.

Agency Management and Personal Lines were kind of a waste of time in my opinion but overall I feel the CIC program is great.[/quote] volstrike3,

I'm guessing from your response to, or opinion of the Agency Management Institute that you are not an Agency Principal and that you are possibly not involved with personal lines.

However, as a Producer it is important to be aware of management issues and practices. Athougth it is an important area, I just wouldnt' suggest that you use them for your updates.

Greg[/quote]

Your guess is correct. I do not sell personal lines insurance so I was fairly bored. The agency management was not bad, the information was really basic. I am excited that I can now go to the Ruble Graduate Seminars which are more in depth and industry specific.

Another issue was that I took the PL and AM classes in Reno and the blackjack tables were calling to me. :lol:
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

How long does it take to get a CIC designation?
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

Rob wrote:How long does it take to get a CIC designation?
Probably only as long as it takes you to schedule and take all the seminars.
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

CIC

Post by volstrike3 »

[quote="Rob"]How long does it take to get a CIC designation?[/quote]

It took me three years. Mostly because I would only take them in Napa, Sacramento or Reno so I had to wait for the right course to come to those cities. That was fine with me because I would not enjoy taking them too close together. There was a woman in one of my classes that took them all within 6 months but she had to fly to several of them.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CIC

Post by InsAgentSF »

Congrats on your designation!!!
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

Aww i think i failed my property class :(
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by volstrike3 »

[quote="InsAgentSF"]Aww i think i failed my property class :([/quote]

Don't worry about it. I don't think many people get their designation without failing a class or two and I believe commercial property has the highest fail rate. I failed personal lines in Reno the first time I took it. I should have spent more time studying and less time at the blackjack table.
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

Everybody I know says that CIC is a great place to see a policy pulled apart and placed back together. It strikes me as a great place also for people who do not have the discipline to sit down and read a book regularly.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

:) LOL You are right. BTW here is the question which i think i got wrong. :

The owner of a business brings a TV from home to watch a SUperbowl. At some point she walks out of the store and TV gets stolen. Is it covered under BPP? I said no because CP form states that we cover Personal property that is used for business. SO my guess was that TV would be covered under HO policy. Was i right?
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

How long does it take to get a CIC designation

Post by gregcw »

Rob wrote:How long does it take to get a CIC designation?
Rob,

You can complete it as fast as you want to but you are REQUIRED to get it within five years of the first institute you pass.

GREGCW
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by volstrike3 »

[quote="AlstonCPCU"]Everybody I know says that CIC is a great place to see a policy pulled apart and placed back together. It strikes me as a great place also for people who do not have the discipline to sit down and read a book regularly.[/quote]

I don't think you will find many people that regularly enjoy reading books about insurance.