Starting An Insurance Company

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Derrick
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Derrick »

I am a 25 year old male and would like to start an insurance company from the ground up. I live in Tenneessee and would like to start offering auto, homeowners, or both. If any one has any information on how to get this started please let me know. I know how much capital I need to begin, I just do not know where or how to get it. Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks
loudmouth
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by loudmouth »

Are you interested in starting an Insurance Company or an Agency? Starting an Agency is a little difficult if you have no prior experience but with a little persistence you can do it. Starting an Insurance Company is a whole other issue and way beyond my scope of knowledge of the insurance industry at this point in my career. So, which is it?
DaveOK
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by DaveOK »

You need to come up with a lot of money to get a bond with the state. You need to come up with initial capital to attract employees; including but not limited to actuaries, underwriters, claims, legal, administrative assistants, mailroom, IT, and then also you'll need the money to write a bunch of lawyers endless amounts of checks for name registration, etc. Don't forget your reinsurance contracts because you'll likely need ceding commissions to boost your reserves. It's a complicated deal and you'll need somebody who knows the business to do it. Insurance is a highly regulated field and it's probably a lot like starting a bank - except that in banking the Federal Reserve will not let you market a product that is not financially sound. State insurance regulators will even though they say otherwise.
Derrick
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Derrick »

Loudmouth,

I would like to start my own insurance company, but it looks like it is going to a lot easier to just buy agencies out that are already established.

DaveOK,

I have contacted someone who might be interested in fronting the capital. It will probably be a long process to start a company getting thru all the steps and making sure you do them the right way. Do you think it is a feasable idea?

Thank you both for your comments and hope to hear more from both,
Derrick