Premium basis in Schedule of Hazards

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

etimer
Insurance Journal Addict

Premium basis in Schedule of Hazards

Post by etimer »

I'm not usually writing this type of account and it has been far too long....or am I just getting old. Perhaps it is having only 3 hours sleep. :(

The client purchased a residential row home that has been converted into two different apartments. In completing the Acord 126, I realized that under the schedule of hazards, I could not remember which premium basis notation to use on the form. Which should I use for a landlord property owner?
csr@ramt
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Premium basis in Schedule of Hazards

Post by csr@ramt »

Class code you should use is 63010 Dwellings one-family (lessors risk only) premium base is t+ (base is each dwelling)
Almost40
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Almost40 »

I was trained that class 63011 Dwellings - Two Family would be more appropriate and the premium basis would be "1". I wonder how many other options will be posted here? Isn't insurance fun! :D
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gregcw »

etimer wrote:I'm not usually writing this type of account and it has been far too long....or am I just getting old. Perhaps it is having only 3 hours sleep. :(

The client purchased a residential row home that has been converted into two different apartments. In completing the Acord 126, I realized that under the schedule of hazards, I could not remember which premium basis notation to use on the form. Which should I use for a landlord property owner?
csr@ramt wrote:Class code you should use is 63010 Dwellings one-family (lessors risk only) premium base is t+ (base is each dwelling)
Almost40 wrote:I was trained that class 63011 Dwellings - Two Family would be more appropriate and the premium basis would be "1". I wonder how many other options will be posted here? Isn't insurance fun! :D
I've pasted all three comments here for ease of reading. Either csr@ramt or Almost40 could be right because etimer is a bit unclear. I would lean to 63011 Dwellings - Two Family with a premium basis of 2 because etimers question says that he has purchased a 'row house' that has been converted. I would interpret that as he purchased both apartments in the row house and not just one.

At any rate it will be one of the two classes with the appropriate number of units.
Gregcw
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by meytai »

In another post, i asked where and how to learn these codes and premium basis.. when i fill out the ACORD forms THIS is the one thing i don't have a clue about

Help?

Meytai
etimer
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by etimer »

Well in my part of the world, if you buy a row home, you get all property in its entirety. You can't just buy th second floor, third, floor, etc. Property ownership of a building have not been split like they may be in New York City. I would imagine in NYC, you can buy a closet size room on the third floor of a row home.

So ownership of the row home is all floors, basement, etc.

gregcw wrote:
etimer wrote:I'm not usually writing this type of account and it has been far too long....or am I just getting old. Perhaps it is having only 3 hours sleep. :(

csr@ramt wrote:Class code you should use is 63010 Dwellings one-family (lessors risk only) premium base is t+ (base is each dwelling)
Almost40 wrote:I was trained that class 63011 Dwellings - Two Family would be more appropriate and the premium basis would be "1". I wonder how many other options will be posted here? Isn't insurance fun! :D
I've pasted all three comments here for ease of reading. Either csr@ramt or Almost40 could be right because etimer is a bit unclear. I would lean to 63011 Dwellings - Two Family with a premium basis of 2 because etimers question says that he has purchased a 'row house' that has been converted. I would interpret that as he purchased both apartments in the row house and not just one.

At any rate it will be one of the two classes with the appropriate number of units.
Master U/W'er
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Master U/W'er »

People, This a single structure. It is a 2-family dwelling, rented to others. It's use is a two family dwelling, that is the correct class i'd expect to see from my underwriters. The exposure basis is 1, as there is only 1 two family dwelling being insured.