The "1 year rule"

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

seanjb55
Insurance Journal Fan

The "1 year rule"

Post by seanjb55 »

Morning All,

I think most on this forum are seasoned professionals that can offer solid career advice. I currently am at an "Elite" global brand after having left another "Elite Global Brand" about 7 months ago. I now have an offer to go to a smaller less known company.

In my current position, I was promised a lot and expected a challenging position... But, it seems I was poached from my last company and am essentially doing data entry. I've always heard that you should stay in a position for a year no matter what, but I'm a little frustrated here (yes, I've made it clear to my managers that I want more responsibility) but I was shipped off to work on a client site and push buttons.

What are your overall thoughts? Outside of a "downgrade" in company status on my resume (trivial IMO)... Do you think that leaving prior to a year will really have a large impact career wise?
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: The "1 year rule"

Post by gregcw »

I would imagine that if you are searching/applying for a position in the same market area, that other agencies may be aware of your current agencies staffing/training practices. My recommendation is to apply at an agency and in your interview make them aware of your reasons for. Since it sounds like you've made your current employer aware of your frustrations it should not surprise them if they become aware of your search.
Gregcw
JimatJKD
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: The "1 year rule"

Post by JimatJKD »

I’m in the later end of my career, having worked for an insurance company, then another’s agency, and now my own agency. When I was giving notice to the insurance company regional executive that I was leaving to go to the agency side, I felt guilty about leaving. He told me not to feel that way and that I, he, or everyone in the office could lose our job tomorrow by the stroke of a pen at home office and wished me well.
What he was saying is that there is no institutional loyalty. You take command of your own career. You have a job as long as the organization needs you, and you work for them as long as it fits your needs as well.
Just expect the person interviewing you next to wonder why the hop. Was the job over-sold to you? Did you give it a chance to see what you could learn? Do you think you deserve too much too quickly? Are you focused on just learning the procedure and not as much on gaining the type of knowledge that only comes with experience? Be ready to address those questions in their mind.
Give them understanding and you should do well. The insurance industry needs more people.
Good luck.