Insurance can be FUN :)

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Insurance can be FUN :)

Post by InsAgentSF »

Guys,
I am sure each of you have had some funny moments in your career. Let's share it. here is mine:

I worked on a WC account which i tried to place with some carrier. It was a pretty complecated account and the whole thing dragged on and on and on and the U/W needed new information every time. So a month passed and when i hoped i will get the quote, the u/w came up with new questions. I decided it was time for my manager to get involved and I forwarded the u/w's email to him with following comments " This b**ch had the account for a month and now she needs more information??? What are we going to do?" And click send. Once the send button was pressed, i realized it wasn't forward but REPLY button. I don't remember being so embarassed :)
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

hahahahahahahahaha InsAgentSF that was funny.

Mine was when I was a senior in HS and worked during summer as a gofer at a "Hole in the wall" insuirance agency. Back then, we used to type everything on carbon paper. My boss (who ran a one man agency) told me to type a BINDER (The red ones). I started to type (it should be noted that I ditched my typing class in HS :lol: ) then I realized I made an error. I used a new set of binders. By the time I realized that I wasted almost 100 sheets, my boss wanted a fresh copy of a binder for him to type one now. I looked in the box and witnessed there was none left. After my boss found out that I wasted (those were expensive) all the binders plus, couldn't finish the job, ....... let's just say I was never asked to type ever again. Lucky I didn't get fired. I hated those old ACORD carbon papers..... :x
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

LOL. Luckily, i wan't in the industry back then :)
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

This happened recently to one of my producers. She was working on remarketing a rather difficult commercial account at renewal. Account was submitted to 2 GA's who assured her they were able to obtain all the coverage the account needed to satisfy their contract obligations. After numerous questions, supplements and documents were supplied to both GA's - one came back not able to get a portion of the wording needed in the contract. GA #2 assured her this was a go so a quote was issued and bind request was submitted. After a couple of days, GA #2 called and said that carrier was refusing to bind because they had another submission that was refused by the client. As you guessed she had blocked herself out of the market. Both GA's had submitted to the same underwriter. At least the company underwriter had a sense of humor.
Brandy
Insurance Journal Addict

here's mine

Post by Brandy »

I don't know if this counts but the only thing that comes to mind was a quote I was asked to do about 18 months ago.

A man wanted home owners insurance, home currently uninsured, house was picked up and moved about 20 miles down the road to his property, had lived in it for about 5 years or so with no coverage.

Ran him a quote for the home as well as the auto, premium was actually really good (company had just laxed their prior insurance requirement), the autos came in a bit higher then he was currently paying with Progressive. Gave him the rates and he was ready to come down and sign that day. Then he drops the bomb shell on me.

He owns his own traveling reptile zoo with a few furried and feathered friends and wanted to verify that the liability would cover it. I explained it wouldn't and that he'd need to purchase a liability policy for the animals he had before binding coverage. I lost the entire thing simply because when he finally explained to me what type of reptiles he had underwriting just wasn't willing to insure a home (with or without a seperate business liability policy) that had 2 "5 foot alligators", 2 "3 foot crocs", multiple boas ranging in lenth from 3 to 20 feet and wolves and foxes all living in the back yard.

Nor was there a company willing to insure him for the business itself.
txinsurancemanager
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by txinsurancemanager »

Brandy,

Aren't you glad you didn't discover the critters upon inspection and photo taking opp?
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

hahaha this is a good one :)
Mezza
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mezza »

This is a true story .. someone called and asked if we insured Donkeys. Could you believe it? I started laughing as I thought it was a prank... but no, he was being serious! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Mezza on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

I was out cold-calling crop insurance prospects in NW Oklahoma. Just before getting to the barn, I was approached in a not-so-friendly way by a mangy old farm dog who looked at me and turned and left. Then from around the other side of the house, came a nice dog who was bleeding from the ear. The wife of the home came to the door and let me know that dog A (a stray) shows up on occasion and attacks dog B (her dog) and she wished she could stop it. She then asked me to help, and I agreed. I figgered this would be like throwing rocks at it or something.

She then returned with a deer rifle and a .45 and asked which one I preferred!!! I said I was no shot, but took the pistol and fired a couple times to scare off dog A. She was very happy, but I didn't get the acct. For some reason, I've never gone back...
Mezza
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mezza »

lol 92builder I can't figure out why you wouldn't want to go back?? :lol:
ins-is-my-life
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ins-is-my-life »

About 15 years ago I had an insured ask to photograph my breasts :oops: !

I declined and oddly enough he did not renew his policies!!! :evil:
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

ins-is-my-life wrote:I declined and oddly enough he did not renew his policies!!! :evil:

Why I am not surprised. In my agency pictures are part of the package :)
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

This b**ch had the account for a month and now she needs more information??? What are we going to do?" And click send. Once the send button was pressed, i realized it wasn't forward but REPLY button. I don't remember being so embarassed
You should be. I'm surprised the carrier didn't ask that you be terminated, or put restrictions on your agency.

While on an agency call with the VP of Underwriting, the marketing manager started to mouth off during the meeting (with the principles present) why he didn't like our company and the service we provided, so the VP told him that she was terminating the agency agreement effective immediately, and we walked out.
miinsguy
Insurance Journal Addict

someone called and asked if we insure Donkeys

Post by miinsguy »

Hey Uninformed!

How long have you been in the insurance business?

Its called Animal Mortality and many large and small insurance companies provide it for even Donkeys!

Sometimes I am very unimpressed with the stuff I see on this forum.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

Nah, they wouldn't terminate us over this. WHo wants to lose money. I was just frustrated, you know