New Agent to be

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

bvstewart
Insurance Journal Fan

New Agent to be

Post by bvstewart »

I've been reading these posts daily for over a month.

I know that most of you out there have been doing this for awhile. However I would like to know if there are any agents out there that went out on their own in the last couple of years.

If yes, I would like to know...
If you had it to do all over again, would you do it again? Also, if you consider yourself on the road to success, what one 'thing', 'person', 'situation' made that success possible? In other words, if I didn't have __________ it is very likely I would not be where I am today.

Thank you.
jtownagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: New Agent to be

Post by jtownagent »

Check our previous topic addressed under "New independent agency"
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gregcw »

bvstewart, I began my career over thirty-five years ago in 1982. I first appointed with Farmers Insurance Group whom I left in 1989 to become Independent. The reasons I became Independent was that there were many times that Farmers and I agreed to disagree.

Overall it has been a rewarding career for me even though there have been times when I questioned whether I made the correct choice. Over the years I've met a number of people and made good friends of a number of customers. In response to your request to fill in the blank, In other words, if I didn't have persistence it is very likely I would not be where I am today.
Gregcw
bvstewart
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by bvstewart »

Thank you for your comment Greg.
alaains1
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by alaains1 »

I've done it, exited, and came back. Wouldn't want to do anything else. If I didn't have a website, I wouldn't be where I'm at. Good luck!
Al Sneineh
Agency Principal
www.insuredasap.com
InsuranceAgentJoe
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by InsuranceAgentJoe »

I have a question for you. Can you tell me what draws you to be an insurance agent?

I am asking because I was contacted by Farmers a while back, and I am thinking about pursuing purchasing an insurance agency. There are many reasons why I would NOT want to change careers at this time in my life:
  • 52 years old
  • I already make over $140,000 per year
  • Very established in my field
  • 2 kids in college, another to follow next year
The reason that is drawing me to changing careers is simply the potential for freedom, and I am a bit burned out on my current job. Just curious if you or others out there had a successful career and changed to be an insurance agent.

Joe
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

The concept of 'freedom' is illusory. Instead of working for one jerk of a boss, you'll be working for hundreds of jerks and a single supplier who sets rules and prices for your product.

Based on what you're describing as current status, I'd learn to suck it up, find a diversionary hobby on your off hours and continue earning what is likely a decent, middle class wage. Put your kids through school, pay down the mortgage and imagine yourself in retirement 15-20 years from now.

Farmers in the past has had a reputation for signing on almost anybody, training them, and throwing them into the marketplace to sink or swim. New agents sell to their friends and relatives, do the best they can in a very competitive environment and often crap out.

If you really think being an insurance agent is in your future and you have a passion that goes beyond thinking that we all are farting through silk shorts and leasing a new Mercedes every two years, then my suggestion is to take a part time job at some kind of insurance agency that is open on Saturday's and get a taste for the business and what's involved in agency processes and procedures. If you can't wait for a part time shift on what would have been your leisure day off, then by all means think strongly of making a career change.
InsuranceAgentJoe
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by InsuranceAgentJoe »

This is excellent advice.
lonestar
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by lonestar »

agent to be:
D's gives you some good advice. I am an ex Farmers agent, was with them 11 years. Went independent 7 years ago. DO NOT start / buy an agency with Farmers. There is a reason so many agencies are for sale at the moment. And, they are getting ready to cut commissions in 2018.
MrD
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by MrD »

I don't respond to very many IJ posts at all, but, I feel compelled to respond to this one. At 52 years of age, making $140,000 per year with two kids in college on one headed there shortly, STAY IN YOUR CURRENT JOB! Get a hobby, take some vacation or something to get through the burn out - but don't give it up. Ride that gig all the way to the retirement finish line. Especially do not give it up to become a captive insurance agent. Being an insurance agent is hard enough without being tied to one company that can dictate your life. You already need a "thick skin" to deal with the insured's who will beat you to death and regardless of how well you service them will leave for less than a $100. You'll need an even thicker skin to deal with the demands of a captive carrier. The previous advice was very good - "try it before you buy it". Good luck.
agent14
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by agent14 »

One has to ask, HOW IN THE WORLD is a company like Farmers, able to get ANYONE (who can read on the net about their practices), to sign up to be an agent for them? Used to have a great agency appointment contract prior to them changing that for the worse in 2009. Now, it is arguable THE WORST carrier to be an agent for.