Texas Independent Personal Lines

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Scarlet
Insurance Journal Fan

Texas Independent Personal Lines

Post by Scarlet »

I am looking for suggestions on companies for home and auto bundles. I currently write for Nationwide, Safeco, MetLife, Foremost, and Mercury. The only thing that's competitive for both home and auto is Safeco. What other companies would you suggest I look into?
kylemead
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Texas Independent Personal Lines

Post by kylemead »

I see you are in Texas but the competitive carrier "right now" for packages in your area is going to depend on whether you are in DFW(Tarrant is typically very different than Dallas, Denton, and Collin Counties), Houston(again huge variations depending on where you are in Houston), San Antonio, Austin, Lubbock, Midland, etc, etc. I think you get the idea. What is good(on price) is not necessarily good or even viable in another area. Where are you?
In addition, the other variable for finding a good company for you is the type of business you write and how you write it. What do your typical homeowners risk look like? Value, new/old, etc. What do your typical auto risks look like? Good credit, activity, etc. How are you covering these risks? 100/300/100 or 500CSL. What are you looking for by adding another market? I'm happy to make a suggestion for you once I have more detail.
cmk90
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by cmk90 »

edit
Last edited by cmk90 on Mon May 28, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Scarlet »

I am in the DFW area. I have business in Tarrant, Dallas, Denton, Collin, Ellis and Johnson counties. The majority of my personal lines book are business owners with homes in the $200k-$500k range with a few venturing up to $1M. I do have a few outliers that don't fit into that category, but that's the majority. Coverage wise most are 500CSL with an Umbrella. My auto risks are mostly preferred. The ones that fall into the non-standard bracket are due to record issues. I am starting to see an influx of quotes coming in that don't fit into my "normal" and I want to be able to accommodate. I realize I can't be everything to everyone, but I don't want to turn away business either.

I really appreciate the input!
kylemead wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 am I see you are in Texas but the competitive carrier "right now" for packages in your area is going to depend on whether you are in DFW(Tarrant is typically very different than Dallas, Denton, and Collin Counties), Houston(again huge variations depending on where you are in Houston), San Antonio, Austin, Lubbock, Midland, etc, etc. I think you get the idea. What is good(on price) is not necessarily good or even viable in another area. Where are you?
In addition, the other variable for finding a good company for you is the type of business you write and how you write it. What do your typical homeowners risk look like? Value, new/old, etc. What do your typical auto risks look like? Good credit, activity, etc. How are you covering these risks? 100/300/100 or 500CSL. What are you looking for by adding another market? I'm happy to make a suggestion for you once I have more detail.