new to the business

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

hockeyfreak
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

new to the business

Post by hockeyfreak »

I am new as an agent, I pass out doorhangers, do direct mailings, subscribe to a couple of online lead generating companies, and of course the lovely cold calling.
Just wondered if anyone had other suggestions to help me out.
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

Keep it up is about the only advice you need right now. I just hope you're dressing well and driving a clean car. These first impressions you're getting now are what will determine how soon you can stop beating the bushes so hard. Some here will say you never stop beating the bushes and looking for business, but there comes a time when it WILL get easier.

Hang in there, buddy.
hockeyfreak

Post by hockeyfreak »

thanks 92, seems like them bushes are 100 feet tall sometimes....
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

Your going to have a hard time getting any P & C appointments. Unless State farm, Allstate, American family which is big in AZ, or god help you farmers if desperate. OK, this is a good way for you to get started. Go to the PIA webb site and get your E &O from CNA Ins. You don't need to become a member to buy E & O for insurance agents, the cost about 2800.00 or less in AZ. Second get as many appointment as possible starting with: American Bankers for Flood, Pacific Specialty(Mcgraw Ins) JE Brown, home, tenant occupied, EQ and more. All will get you started until you can find a broker to work with, or a sold appointment with caption carriers. Unfortunately with stand alone AUTO companies most are non-standard and hard to get in bed with, if you need more clarification just ask will help you :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
hockeyfreak

Post by hockeyfreak »

well, lets just say I am with one of the BIG 4 companies already, so my E and O is covered. I am just kinda looking for some more suggestions n somethin that could help me..

Thanks
jctwindad
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jctwindad »

From the description of your prospecting activity (doorhangers, etc.) it sounds like you are doing Personal Lines production. Not a bad place to "cut your teeth", but you need to jump to Commercial Lines as soon as you can, if you want more challenging work, and more money.
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

I understood your original question, but now since you say you're with "the big 4", I'm not so sure why you're even asking any of us. Aren't they giving you any guidelines? I mean, I'm sure you have quotas to meet, but arent' they giving you a gameplan? I find it hard to believe they've thrown you to the wolves.

Also, in my opinion, doorhangers and direct mail work with any line of insurance, so I wouldn't give those up. You just may have to tweak the message.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

hockeyfreak,
It depends on where you are in AZ as to what works for each type of business. If you're in the PHX metro area door hangers and all that aren't going to get you much of a bang - can work well in small towns though. Since you're with a direct writer, you're pretty well locked into personal lines and maybe commercial auto - us independants are cleaning up in the commercial markets here. Get out to the car dealers - Earnhart's many locations are always good for auto business - I personally know several agents who make a healthy living off them. Also, get out to title offices and the larger real estate offices. Bring food - baskets of cookies or muffins works well. Buddy up with a nonstandard agency near your location for referrals - they can't write the prefered that wanders in from their ads or shopping center locations.
hockeyfreak

Post by hockeyfreak »

I am in the southeast/gilbert area, I haven't had much luck with the doorhangers or direct mailers either, Basically I have had moderate luck with the internet leads, which I am sure is just a luck of the draw and will turn colder soon.

I was just curious if anyone else had some wild Ideas within reason that they might want to reveal alittle bit.

Thanks
jcardrant

Re: new to the business

Post by jcardrant »

hockeyfreak wrote:I am new as an agent, I pass out doorhangers, do direct mailings, subscribe to a couple of online lead generating companies, and of course the lovely cold calling.
Just wondered if anyone had other suggestions to help me out.
Here is an article from the Insurance Journal website that may give you an idea or two: http://www.insurancejournal.com/magazin ... /69908.htm

Cheers! :D
hockeyfreak

Post by hockeyfreak »

that was a good article, I actually read it last night.
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Big Four?

Post by gregcw »

I, too, hope that you do not mean FIG as the ONE of the Big Four that you are appointed with. If it is it is more impotant than with the other three to learn how to spell the word I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E. Farmers does spend a lot of time on training to sell life insurance and prospecting but not nearly enough on INSURANCE TRAINING for property and casualty.

I started our life with Farmers (seven years) and have been in the business for twenty-four years. While I did work with Farmers, I made extra efforts to learn the coverages and underwriting. After leaving Farmers I got my Certified Inaurance Counselor (CIC) designation. One of the keys to Underwriting is that it is not just an eligibility guide for the company. It is also a COVERAGE guide for your customers needs.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Hockyfreak,
My agency is in Gilbert. Give me a call - 480-633-9115. Ask for Cathie.