Combined Single Limit

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

IRCOS, LLC
Insurance Journal Addict

Combined Single Limit

Post by IRCOS, LLC »

Has anyone seen use of the captioned in other than auto policies, e.g. example, excess & umbrella policies?
Akos Swierkiewicz
IRCOS, LLC
215 736 9970
akos.s@ircosllc.com
hockeyfreak
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by hockeyfreak »

i have written a few umbrellas, why wouldn't you?
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Is this just a fishing question or have you come across a carrier who's doing this? CSL generally is used to combine BI & PD limits - while umbrella / excess policies are a flat $1m, $2m, etc since they go over a larger number of policies.
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Combined Single Limit

Post by gregcw »

IRCOS, LLC wrote:Has anyone seen use of the captioned in other than auto policies, e.g. example, excess & umbrella policies?
I don't think I understand the question. I believe that 'Captioned" is referring to the Named Insured in the declarations, the described vehicle(s) on a policy, the described premises, etc......

I could not find that word, albeit I did not search for it on the Auto Policy form or any declarations page.
MAG

Post by MAG »

I believe that when IRCOS said "has anyone seen one of the captioned"....he was referring to the subject line, i.e. Combined Single Limit. That term is used in letter writting...dear sir....with regard to the captioned insured, please add......

I have not seen the use of Combined Single Limit (CSL) in excess or umbrella policies. Once upon a time general liability coverage was written in other than combined single limits and may still be in some states but I would imagine it to be rare.
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

I believe IRCOS is just a lawyer looking for some help, guys. The last time I saw a post from him he was looking for an expert witness.
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

I believe IRCOS is just a lawyer looking for some help, guys. The last time I saw a post from him he was looking for an expert witness.[quote]
Isn't that what were all here for to, help one and other. IRCOS, LLC yes I have written both CSL and Occurrence, Claims made, its all out there, the Acord form is meant to be manipulated.
If you can show a need to and underwriter it can be done. And yes Umbrellas are all encompassing. CSL, picks up property coverage. It doesn't matter what form.
Its better to ask forgiveness then permission
(just do it)