Your single biggest challenge right now?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Your single biggest challenge right now?

Post by pageltd »

Nobody likes Travelers, anyway...do they?
George Page
www.pageins.com
ediddy
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ediddy »

Explaining rate increases of 38% or more. Rating has become so complex underwriters can't tell you why a rate increases. I recently had a homeowner policy that was almost $1,000 per year and on renewal it went to $2,000 and there hadn't been any claims. No one with the company could tell me why. Needless to say I lost the business. I think the calculations computers use to formulate a rate have gotten so complex humans can't keep up.
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

ediddy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:29 am Explaining rate increases of 38% or more. Rating has become so complex underwriters can't tell you why a rate increases. I recently had a homeowner policy that was almost $1,000 per year and on renewal it went to $2,000 and there hadn't been any claims. No one with the company could tell me why. Needless to say I lost the business. I think the calculations computers use to formulate a rate have gotten so complex humans can't keep up.
I hear you...and to those that say "don't re-quote or you'll make the companies unhappy" I say this. Re-quote or lose the business. Period.
George Page
www.pageins.com
agent14
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by agent14 »

pageltd, I think what agents are expressing, is the fact that the CARRIERS are telling you, me and every other agent, if you requote too much, we can terminate your contract and you are not welcome back ever. So if you hear this advice from an agent, they are really just passing on what they have witnessed or been told by a carrier rep.

If the rate goes up 38% and the client requests a remarket, I don't think anyone is suggesting you refuse to requote. I would requote it.
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

agent14 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm pageltd, I think what agents are expressing, is the fact that the CARRIERS are telling you, me and every other agent, if you requote too much, we can terminate your contract and you are not welcome back ever. So if you hear this advice from an agent, they are really just passing on what they have witnessed or been told by a carrier rep.

If the rate goes up 38% and the client requests a remarket, I don't think anyone is suggesting you refuse to requote. I would requote it.
Thank you. I have been validated!
George Page
www.pageins.com
BADTROUT
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by BADTROUT »

Had the issue with Safeco and Travelers... we used to get asked "can you shop us out" all the time. The carrier would beat us up too... we were always running quotes... some carriers retention was in the 65% range... agency was great @ 90% but carriers dont see that way on it...

Things are better now and carrier retention rates are back up into the 80s with one move...

We changed a few words in our approach.

When the renewals download to our retention center it calculates change percent and determines based on the criteria we predetermined the high risk and low risk clients as far as leaving.

Low risk gets an email or a call that says if you see a shift in your pricing that doesnt look reasonable please contact us immediately, even if all looks well we are always here to do a full review.

On the high risk ones, they get a call and email saying we noticed your premium went up, let's take a look to see what we can do to lower things. That's where we look for opportunity to take comp and coll off of old cars increase deductibles etc.

If after said change the price isnt where we need we always say... we can always look at other carriers... the hassle of switching carriers may be worth it...

About half tell us, nah... let's just keep it and we'll look at it next year.

Repeat.
Uwe Philip Kirch
President/CEO Rocky Mountain West Insurance
President/CEO Horizon Agency Systems
Horizon can help you start or grow your independent insurance agency
https://horizonagency.systems
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

BADTROUT wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am Had the issue with Safeco and Travelers... we used to get asked "can you shop us out" all the time. The carrier would beat us up too... we were always running quotes... some carriers retention was in the 65% range... agency was great @ 90% but carriers dont see that way on it...

Things are better now and carrier retention rates are back up into the 80s with one move...

We changed a few words in our approach.

When the renewals download to our retention center it calculates change percent and determines based on the criteria we predetermined the high risk and low risk clients as far as leaving.

Low risk gets an email or a call that says if you see a shift in your pricing that doesnt look reasonable please contact us immediately, even if all looks well we are always here to do a full review.

On the high risk ones, they get a call and email saying we noticed your premium went up, let's take a look to see what we can do to lower things. That's where we look for opportunity to take comp and coll off of old cars increase deductibles etc.

If after said change the price isnt where we need we always say... we can always look at other carriers... the hassle of switching carriers may be worth it...

About half tell us, nah... let's just keep it and we'll look at it next year.

Repeat.
Ditto
George Page
www.pageins.com
insuringky.com
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by insuringky.com »

Staffing!
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

BADTROUT wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am Low risk gets an email or a call that says if you see a shift in your pricing that doesnt look reasonable please contact us immediately, even if all looks well we are always here to do a full review.

Moving the idea of review to a new thread, stay tuned...
George Page
www.pageins.com