Property and Casualty Exam Tips

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

noidea
Insurance Journal Fan

Property and Casualty Exam Tips

Post by noidea »

What are some tips for studying effectively for the P&C Exam? Any helpful resources. I am already using Examfx
MBRCatz
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Property and Casualty Exam Tips

Post by MBRCatz »

Here's what I suggest. Start with a good night's sleep before the exam - for at least two nights. Work your practice tests, don't just "take" them. That means, analyze each question and the answer options, and decide for yourself not just why the right answer is right, but why, exactly, the wrong answers are wrong. Know how to calculate coinsurance penalties, cold.

Know how, and in what order, deductibles apply in (particularly homeowners) situations with multiple types of losses. Know how to calculate coinsurance penalties. I'm not familiar with the vendor you are using, but most states have a test question bank with about 5000 questions that they pull from, so you need to THINK your way through each question, not memorize the answers to the questions on your practice exam.

If you can do multiple practice exams - I'm talking 25+ - with different questions, that will be helpful, also. Good luck.
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

Invest in a good test prep program with unlimited practice exams. Plenty of them to choose from. Find one that fits your style of learning. Know your stuff. Go to the real exam rested and ready. It's not hard to pass. The next step, after you pass the exam, is continuing to hone that expertise.
George Page
www.pageins.com
FurriePrincess
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by FurriePrincess »

Many states use multiple choice questions. Read each question and the answer options, then read it again. As mentioned above, carefully examine the answers for the BEST answer. Many times you will find some questions that are set up to pick the WRONG answer... those are rewards as it gives you 2 or 3 right answers to another question somewhere on the exam.
But take your time, read, re-read and consider before making a choice. If it is electronic, this is particularly important as often you cannot go back. If you can skip and go back, skip ones that are too hard and go back after going through the rest of the exam as you may find your answer in the multiple choices to another question. Note the question numbers so you don't forget to go back to them.
fmi
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by fmi »

I recommend looking at the candidate handbook for your state.

Here is an example of the Texas insurance licensing candidate handbook:

https://home.pearsonvue.com/getattachme ... dbook.aspx

The handbook outlines each section by percentages so I would focus on the sections with the highest percentages because those topics will be shown the most on your exam.

I used Kaplan Financial when I did my pre-licensing class in person back in 2008 and I passed the first time without doing any practice exams. If your doing your pre-licensing class online then I recommend using there practice exams as this will increase the chances of you passing the first time.

Good luck!
Frank Medina, Agency Owner, Mentor, Founder of IANS Insurance Agent Near Me
https://insuranceagentnearme.directory/
ehlewis
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ehlewis »

I took the California exam in 2002. I just kept taking the practice exams over and over until I knew the answers. When I took the real exam it was a piece of cake.