Call Center Agent Looking for Advice

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Wabisabi
Insurance Journal Fan

Call Center Agent Looking for Advice

Post by Wabisabi »

Hello everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to read this post. I am a captive agent that has worked at a large inbound insurance call center for the last four years. I am thankful I've had the opportunity to sell auto, home, umbrella. I've also learned to service our auto polices and some home product. I feel I'm at a crossroads in my career and would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. As a company I feel we pay lip service to quality, however it is all based on close rates and policies sold. There is very little accountability and the push to sell at all costs encourages things like not explaining acv on roofing and property, glazing over huge percentage deductibles, incorrect mortgagee information, butchered replacement cost calculations, etc. We sell home insurance on behalf of multiple companies, and no one is really an expert on any particular carrier. Frankly some of these companies are not regarded very highly. Many policies uprate considerably after the inspections or get cancelled and that is generally acceptable. The general theme seems to be you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. I'm not saying I work with bad people or heartless people, but the overall structure seems very reactive to issues instead of proactive. I make about 50K a year and have good healthcare, but It hurts to see customers hung out to dry. If I am complaining so much I should probably do something about it. Any advice on transitioning to working for a local agency would be great. I won't lie it is a bit of a scary prospect. I'll be having a child soon and want to be financially secure, but I want to feel like I am truly helping people. Thanks for any and all advice on the subject.
cmrc0nsulting
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Call Center Agent Looking for Advice

Post by cmrc0nsulting »

You want to transition to working for a local agency, but things may not be better there. However, I recommend Indeed and Glassdoor as I see many insurance jobs there. LinkedIn also has a job center.

However, have you given any thought to being a claim adjuster? It's a harder job, but there is job security (there will always be claims; it's recession proof). The pay is generally good (due to said hard job). And you're helping the insured/claimant in his/her time of need.
BMacAttack
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by BMacAttack »

The call center routine can become a grind. I would suggest that you look at independent agency opportunities in and around your area and starting your business so that you can provide all the things you feel are important to your clientele. You may make less money initially, but as you grow and people see your true value, they will flock to you and the income will grow.
Treat clients as you expect to be treated. Give the whole picture and help them understand why you are important. You will go to work everyday with a purpose. Build a quality clientele, legacy of income, and feel good knowing your clients aren't dealing with the call center service. That can be your story to move people to your business. You understand those issues. Clients want to know you care and will be there with the fullest truth you can deliver. It's the only long term solution.
I worked with 5 captive companies in 25 years, and since I have opened my independent agency, i have never been happier. It's been five years of good work and I now have 3 employees, 3 sub producers, and a great business partner. Closing in on a $5 mill book and heading for $10 Mill. No one tells me what to do and I can't imagine being stuck back in a captive situation. Best of luck in the journey!!
Wabisabi
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Wabisabi »

Thank you both so much for your advice. I truly appreciate it, all of your insight is incredibly valuable.